97.5 200LE Jackpiner

Started by Doug Knight, October 17, 2020, 01:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Knight

I have been on the hunt for some time now for a Jackpiner, either a 70's or an LE. A week back I brought home a 200LE with all the goodies that they came with. Bike was from the PNW and was woods ridden for about 3 years early in its life. So I am looking for some help or suggestion on where to locate some LE specific parts.

1.Blue plastics and graphics, I have the MSO
2.the long fork boots for the Marzocchi M50 forks.

Thanks, Doug

motograndpa

Hi Doug,

I'm another PNW LE owner and I sent a note to the owner to advertise it here because there may be some interest. It may be tough to find plastics and graphics. I cannot get a response from KTM on continued availability on the plastics. And sadly I can't seem to find anyone at KTM that seems too interested in helping out. I found the fork boots for mine on eBay.

Do you have a copy of the original serialized document showing the VIN/Engine number and the number of the bike of the total LEs manufactured? There are a few of us trying to unravel the mystery on this and much of the KTM tribal knowledge has now gone away. There seems to be a corollary between the VIN and serialized number but we still need a bit more data to prove it. If you do a search here I've attempted to help gather a registry for the LEs that are still around.

Dan

Doug Knight

Dan, From what I can barley tell from scouring the the web frame #1 began at either 191 or 192.  Before the VM there seams to be the production date month and day the follows along with final serial numbers. So VM200xxx, just subtract 191 and you might have your Limited number. I just picked up a second one, So 131 to go, :D

The common theme on the survivors is if their ridden the exhaust pipes, handle bars and the plastics are not surviving time.

Doug

motograndpa

Doug,

I think it may be a bit more complicated. I have VIN: VBKEXJ202VM200252 and Engine Number: 0752300178. Also, according to a reliable source I think I may have #133.

Dan

rob brown

Dan and I have written back and forth about our LE's. Mine ends with 238, and is #102/133. Oddly enough, the numbers just prior to "VM" is 208. My bike also came from the Pacific Northwest. The plot thickens:)

Bob Gilman

I bought my 200LE new from a dealer in Maryland,and was sent from KTM The official certificate of authenticity. built in June 1997,Model production number 97 of 133.Frame number VBKEXJ207VM200330,Engine number 0752300200.Paul is trying to put a picture on the web site,I'am not smart enough. Hope this helps.   Bob

Doug Knight

A few years back there was one for sale, VBKEXJ202VM200218 and was labeled as #27/133.
I have VBKEXJ209VM200281 and VBKEXJ204VM20053, the more I look at the numbers the more I shake my head at trying to figure this all out. I have one complete with the MSO from Lorain, Ohio. The other, it's papers were lost in an Estate transfer years back. Both of mine were from the PNW.

I am willing to bet that there were more than 133 made of the model. Just the Americans were shipped the 133 LE's and the Europeans just got a plane Jane version with out the John Penton version. The box of Goodies(extras) was shipped to the owner after they took delivery and was shipped from KTM Sportmotorcycle, El Cajon to the owner.

One, #281 that I got complete, I got the bent bars, the ripped seat cover, was replaced and pitiful thin, I see why it was replaced, and the crunched stock pipe. This one had the original chain worn flat over the rollers. This one was woods ridden in the wet PNW environment and probably carwashed after each adventure, this hard on bikes and will need all the bearings and seals replaced.

Neither of mine look to have the heads removed and are probably still on the original piston. I will be plating both of mine to ride and share with my friends. I wish Montana had the quantity single track as Idaho, but Idaho is not that far away.

Doug

motograndpa

All,

Is there any interest at all in having a 'KTM 200LE Jackpiner Owners' Facebook Page? It might be an easier way to keep track of current owners and their bikes. This seems to be a bit cumbersome to do this here.

I'd be happy to serve as an admin if there is enough interest.

Thanks, Dan

Doug Knight

Gone, I picked that one up last week

Doug Knight

Dave if you do a FB page, I personally avoid social media. You could copy and paste my bike info but my personal info will not be available.

Doug

motograndpa

Doug,

No worries. I'm just testing the waters to see if there is any interest.

Thank you, Dan

holeshothawk3

I would be interested in a FB page. There was talk of a registry here and I sent my info in but haven't heard anything else about it in 6 months. I have #53 and would like to see how many of these bikes are still out there!

motograndpa

Hi Clint,

The registry didn't seem to have any traction. I think there were three or four of us interested, so it just kind of stalled out. My reason for a FB page is the broader exposure and the ease of pictures and messaging. I understand the caution some of us have about social media and would want to limit personal information. If you search for 'KTM 200LE Jackpiner Owners' on FB I've started a page there.

Dan

motograndpa

Hi Clint,

We attempted a registry here, but there didn't seem to be much interest. I think we had three or four people interested and then couldn't really figure out what the access to the registry would look like here. I understand the caution with sharing personal information on social media. With the FB account folks would be responsible for what they want to post. Plus messaging and pictures are quite a bit easier there. If you're interested here is a link to the FB Group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/734868590431438

Dan