97.5 200LE Jackpiner

Started by Doug Knight, October 17, 2020, 01:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Try327

Hey fellas I also have a 200LE. The bike we have was purchased from One The  Edge the old Penton, Honda dealership  here in Ohio. The same question came up about what number it is and I spoke with some very connected people at KTM and found out that there are more than the 133 that was said to be produced. I have a small picture of the last serial numbers of all the LE's and it shows ours is #142 out of 151. All the bikes after ours I believe went to certain individuals and media. From what I have been told the way KTM number the bikes is how the owners sent in there paper work. I am not on fb but it would be neat if we could get the LE owners together for a registry. Good luck with your searching. Greg

motograndpa

Greg,

Thank you for this information as well. I've been told the same. Is the picture you have something you could share?

Dan

motograndpa

Here are some of the numbers I have so far....

LE# 27, VIN# VBKEXJ202VM200218

LE# 28, The VIN ended 200235 and engine number ended in 67 and was originally bought by DM from Hillsboro Motorcycles in Oregon

LE# ?, VIN# VBKEXJ204VM20053, owner DK

LE# ?, VIN# VBKEXJ203VM200227, owner CWP

LE# 53, VIN# VBKEXJ204VM200267, engine# 0752300092, owner CD

LE# 63, VIN# VBKEXJ205VM200245, engine# 0752300174, owner SS

LE# ?, VIN# VBKEXJ209VM200281, owner DK

LE# 97, VIN# VBKEXJ207VM200330, engine# 0752300200, owner BG

LE# 102, VIN# VBKEXJ208VM200238, engine# 0752300058, owner RB

LE# (?), VIN# VBKEXJ202VM200252, engine# 0752300178, owner DM

VIN breakdown - World Identifier/model/HP/2 or 4 stroke/zero/check digit character (revolving number for altered VIN)/model year 1997/place of manufacture Mattighoffen/200/sequential serial number

It is possible that 15 to 17 LEs exist over and above the 133 total number, but this has yet to be confirmed.

holeshothawk3

I just joined the FB group. One thing that would help the privacy there will be more strict questions when someone is joining and maybe confirm the ownership of these bikes before joining. That would keep out the looky lous and then privacy wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Try327

Guys the picture Of the list is not mine to post. Sorry

motograndpa

Greg,

Is it possible to request permission to share the list with verified owners. It seems like this would be very helpful information.

Dan

rob brown

Dan, I'm glad to see you are forging ahead with a list. I am not a FB guy, so I will look here. These bikes are treasures in their own way, and I am really wanting to know more about the >133 rumor. They were advertised and promoted as 133. My certificate says 102/133. There were supposed to be only 5 of the green 125 LE's. I hope that is true.  I know of one 125 right now, owned by a fine Gentleman in MD. Robbie Bush used to have one (Rod's) in a crate, but I believe he sold it a few years ago. Anyone else with additional info??

motograndpa

Thanks Bob. I'll keep a list here and a list on FB. I've included a couple of questions as Clint suggested on the FB page.

In 2022 these bikes will be 25 years old. Kinda hard to believe.

It'll be interesting to see how many are interested in being part of the registry. I suspect there will be a good number that won't and that's okay. I've thought about putting a location down as part of the record to see where the bikes originated and where the bikes are now.

Dan

holeshothawk3

The origin and current location would be interesting to see. As a side note it would be interesting to see who has the extras that came with these bikes still.

Rocket

Moto-Armory Museum in Illinois has (2) of the 125's, one belonged to Rod Bush, also have (3) of the Jackpiners.
RCG

motograndpa

RCG,

Do you know if there is a way to find out information on the bikes at the museum?

Thanks, Dan

Rocket

I'm not in Illinois until spring.  When I get there, I will go to the museum and get some serial numbers.
RCG

motograndpa

One of the things a few of us are attempting to do is figure out the correlation between the VIN numbers and the special edition numbers assigned by KTM for each 200LE. Each LE was issued a statement of authenticity when purchased new and assigned a number from 1-133. To crack the code is going to require some more VIN numbers and special edition numbers, and likely a degree in cryptology. That's why we're asking for the special edition number. We have had some help along the way and once we have the sequencing figured out we can likely tell you which serialized number your LE is. Sadly the tribal knowledge is gone at KTM and they don't seem to have an interest in helping us figure it out.

motograndpa

KTM 200LE Owners,

I've begun putting together a better spreadsheet with the following information:

200 LE Serial #, VIN, Engine #, Dealership where sold, Sale date, Original owner, Current owner, Current location

If you're interested in having your LE information on the registry I'll be happy to include it. A few people here will have access to it but it won't be published information.

You can email me at [email protected] and please include the above information if you have it.

Dan

motograndpa

With some help from one of the members here I was able to do a bit of detective work and I located the original owner of my LE. It turns out that the original owner knew where the supplied box of goodies from KTM were located...and I found them. I now have the original KTM supplied box with the 30th anniversary shirts, hat, gym bag, cup, and mug. It's pretty cool to have the box reunited with the bike after years of being apart. I'm still trying to match the VIN with the serialized LE number, so that's the next part of unraveling the mystery.

Dan