Coating Tanks or Running Ethanol Free

Started by 61rover, April 30, 2021, 06:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

61rover

I'm sitting here looking at the the 5 fiberglass tanks in front of me.  Thinking about the cost and trouble of coating them.  No one seems 100% happy with any of the coating products.

Am I better off just running something like VP Racing Vintage Leaded or T2 premix?  It's $15 a gallon but I only ride my old bikes a few times a year.  Is that a crazy idea?

John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175
John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175

Mike Rosso

Easy way to remove ethanol from local pump gasoline.....for those that only need a few gallons a year it's pretty easy IMO.

You can find a couple of places that actually make setup kits with containers with drains and stands to do this quicker.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK>>>>> https://youtu.be/HdDEL7WLN5U

Mike

Larry Perkins

Just run non-ethanol gas.  Never had any trouble with that. Most states have some Premium pumps that are non-ethanol which is alot cheaper than VP. Every coated tank I have seen eventually flakes coating and the debris makes the tank unuseable.

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

Sometimes finding non-ethanol gasoline at the pump can be near impossible. here in the St. Louis area, there are no local stations with St. Louis and St. Louis County that carry it due to EPA regulations. I used to have to go to Effingham , Illinois to get to the nearest gas station that had a pump with it, when I would run over to Mike Winter's place for any reason. Whether I needed any or not, if I was making the three hour trip, I would take any empty gas cans I had just because I was there. We have been lucky that a couple of stations that are just outside the EPA limits have added a pump with it and off road diesel fuel and it's only a 45 minute drive for me now. I'll have to try  this little trick, and even for fuel for lawn and garden equipment, which the ethanol tends to screw up also, this will be a handy thing to know. I think the alcohol, because of it's ability to attract moisture ( it's called hydroscopic, I think)any gas that is stored for any length of time tends to go bad. I think it makes carbs varnish over and clog jets easier also. Once you separate it, ad in a little Stabil additive and you are good  to go for a long time.  The big trick is finding the large clear container to do the process in.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

61rover

All good advice.  Thank you gentlemen.

John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175
John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175

Toolsurfer

Most all marinas sell non Ethanol . Most boat owner that I know don't use ethanol . Here in Michigan , I think its around 3 bucks a gallon or less . Works in all the older boats which fuel line , rubber parts that harden .