Dick Mann Has Passed Away

Started by Pat Oshaughnessy, May 04, 2021, 09:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Oshaughnessy

Sad to say the Best of the Best has lost his long hard fight with throat cancer. A guy who did it all & Won it all. A very Modest guy who had fun with the best of them. To know the full story of his Life read the book A MANN OF HIS TIME.  R. I. P. BUGS :(

Pat Oshaughnessy

Most guys dont know it but toward the end of his career He rode in an ISDT & won a bronze medal. This Man won every kind of M C event there is From Daytona to observed trials. A truly great guy.   He was for the racers & did a lot to make better & safer  events through the A M A.

fischercycle

A GREAT LEGEND HAS PASSED HE WILL BE REMEMBERED BY ME AS A NUMBER ONE PLATE HOLDER AS I WATCHED DICK RACE AT THE HEIDELBURG RACEWAY IN PGH. 1N THE MID 50s AND IN 1998 PLACED ALL THE MEDALS ON THE WINNING RIDERS AT THE LEROY WINTERS REUNION RIDE IN  OZARKS MTS.IN ARKANSAS VERY GOOD MEMORIES, R.I.P DICK

Daniel P. McEntee

Bugs was a hero of mine also. I first remember seeing him flat track racing on ABC's Wide World of Sports, along with some of the other flat track racers that appeared in "On Any Sunday" during the segments of flat track. I also  got to see him race MX at one of the early Trans-AMA motocross races that Edison Dye set up to introduce MX to the USA. Got a couple of decent black and white shots of him on his BSA at the old Mid-America Motocross track in St. Charles, MO back in '71 I think it was. I still have the program. It wasn't until I started to participate in the ISDTRR events that I was aware of his  ISDT involvement. My first Reunion Ride was the 4th one I think at the Winters Family facility in Cass, Arkansas and got to meet and talk with him a bit. At the Reunion Rides, it was Dick who usually set up and laid out the grass track special tests. He had a habit of positioning himself somewhere around the course, usually all by himself, and cheer on the riders, especially us back markers, and it looked like he was cheering just for me!! At a later ride I was able to get his autograph on my copy of "Mann of His Time" and on my VHS copy of On Any Sunday." I was around him often enough during these times that I noticed one thing, and that was when Dick Mann had something to say, people listened. His autobiography is a must read and you will get the scope of what a truly great all around rider he truly was. In meeting him in person, I got to experience what truly nice and genuine human being he was.
   Type at you later and God Speed Dick Mann,
    Dan McEntee

ALB

The first time that I met Dick Mann was at an AHRMA event at Gratton Michigan around 1996 or 97. My wife Rosemary and I drove up there to sell parts in the swap meet. An observed trials section was set up in the woods near the swap meet. I went over to check it out. Dick was there and was riding a Royal Enfield bike. The ground around it vibrated around that beast of a bike as it sat idling. Dick rode that section with no dabs.
I met him many other times at the ISDT reunion rides. He was a friendly gentleman and open to talk to.
I have a copy of his book and I was amazed at all the different forms of motorcycle competition that he participated in. And he was an excellent rider in all of them.
I am grateful for having the opportunity to have met him and the many other ISDT riders that I have read about. :D

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner