Paint removal from pipes

Started by skiracer, October 28, 2021, 01:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Has anyone removed the paint off an existing pipe?  I have one that I need to do some work on, plus it has some surface rust.  I am thinking of stripping the entire pipe while I'm at it, and then paint it once all the work is done.

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

KJDonovan

James,  

I generally just sandblast old pipes prior to repairing and repainting, but if you're going through the effort of removing, blasting, repairing, and painting there is one other step you should take.  After removing the pipe and prior to blasting, I would recommend taking an acetylene torch and carefully heating the pipe section by section to burn off all the solidified oil that has collected in it over the years.  If you have not done this before I suspect you will surprised how much lighter the pipe is once the process is completed.  

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

skiracer

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the response.  I don't have access to any sandblasting, so, I will just sand it as smooth as I can get it.  It is going on a race bike, so it doesn't need to be perfect.  Yes, I have done the heating of the pipe to clean it out before, and yes, the pipe does get much lighter when completed!  Thanks again.  Jl

Quotequote:Originally posted by KJDonovan

James,  

I generally just sandblast old pipes prior to repairing and repainting, but if you're going through the effort of removing, blasting, repairing, and painting there is one other step you should take.  After removing the pipe and prior to blasting, I would recommend taking an acetylene torch and carefully heating the pipe section by section to burn off all the solidified oil that has collected in it over the years.  If you have not done this before I suspect you will surprised how much lighter the pipe is once the process is completed.  

Thanks,

Kevin

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Cal Alexander

Try using a scotch brite circular pad for a pneumatic rotary sander. The pads are sold at auto body supply stores. It makes the job of prepping a pipe easy. Cuts through the paint, scale, rust and crud quickly. Then sand it lightly by hand prior to painting.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

skiracer

Thanks Carl!  Great idea.

Quotequote:Originally posted by Cal Alexander

Try using a scotch brite circular pad for a pneumatic rotary sander. The pads are sold at auto body supply stores. It makes the job of prepping a pipe easy. Cuts through the paint, scale, rust and crud quickly. Then sand it lightly by hand prior to painting.

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

firstturn

I remember going by Old School bike builders Shops and seeing them build a camp fire out back and put the two stroke pipes in the fire to burn off all the deposits inside.  Just great memories from some Great Old Builders who are no loner with us.  What KJDonovan said is true you can tell the difference in weight before and after cleaning the inside of a pipe.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

skiracer

And you can feel the performance difference too!

quote]Originally posted by firstturn

I remember going by Old School bike builders Shops and seeing them build a camp fire out back and put the two stroke pipes in the fire to burn off all the deposits inside.  Just great memories from some Great Old Builders who are no loner with us.  What KJDonovan said is true you can tell the difference in weight before and after cleaning the inside of a pipe.

Ron Carbaugh

[/quote]

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

firstturn

It depends on how much build up you have in the pipe.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh