ceriani top out springs

Started by Mike Lenz, December 29, 2021, 10:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

I am looking for 3 sets of ceriani top out springs for the "74" type forks to finish current and future builds. TY

firstturn

We used to use Chevrolet valve springs and cut them to the length we wanted.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike Lenz

Do you remember what engine Ron! LOL

firstturn

Small blocks as that is all we raced back in the 1960/70s.  As long as they clear the ID of the fork tubes.  Happy New year my Friend

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dale Fisher

I have at least two bikes with valve springs installed due to sagging original Ceriani springs.  Racetech utilizes a thick washer which sits on top their spring with a thick wall smaller diameter pvc tube which is cut to length for the preload desired.  Another bike utilizes a metal collar the diameter of the spring and is about 1" long.

Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
 Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Mike Lenz

skiracer

Mike, 3/4" PVC pipe will fit in there very nicely.  As Dale mentioned, you can custom set the preload that you want based on the length of the piece of pipe. (just make sure you clean the edges so that none of the cutting shavings fall into the fork, but I know you knew that)

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Richard Colahan

If I may ask for a clarification of this topic...
Some of the replies seem to refer to what I'll refer to as "pre-load" springs (or PVC pre-load spacers) that go on top of the existing fork springs.

Yet the initial question referred to "top out" springs.
My understanding is "top out" springs fit below the valve of a damper rod...usually about 1" or so long...and cushion the fork when it fully extends...or "tops out". Also sometimes called "rebound" springs.  

The reason I ask is...
I am familiar with many forks that use these "top-out" springs, yet when I worked on a set of Ceriani forks this year from a 1974 Penton it had none. I was advised that they did not come with them.

So...if I may...are the replies to this question about "pre-load" springs that go on top of the fork springs?
Or "top-out" springs that go on the damper rods under the valve at the top of the rod.
Thanks...

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

firstturn

Excellent point(s) Richard Colahan.  I answered in a way you could do either.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike Lenz

All Penton/KTM forks came with top out or return springs, as they are called in the parts book for these forks, regardless of year. I had a fire and had all mine in a parts box that got too hot and they all lost their sprung!

Richard Colahan

Ron, I do believe you are right!
I also used Chevy valve springs for fork spring pre-load...in fact they are still in my 74 Husky 125WR's Betors.
And it seems to me...since they can be cut to perhaps an inch or so...they could also be used as diy "top-out" (rebound) springs.
Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Excellent point(s) Richard Colahan.  I answered in a way you could do either.

Ron Carbaugh

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Richard Colahan

So...to recap:
1. Mike is asking about "top out", aka "rebound" springs.
2. Not fork pre-load springs.
3. All Penton Ceriani's came with them...yet mine did not have them. I ended up adding them...carefully selected from the finest assortment of short coil springs found at my local hardware store. Better then nothing, and they seem to function...
4. The replies that refer to using PVC pipe are in reference to adding fork spring "pre-load"... not "top-out" springs.

Thanks for the clarifications...now I think I'll look around for some more of those Chevy valve springs...which can be used for either purpose![8D]
Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike Lenz

All Penton/KTM forks came with top out or return springs, as they are called in the parts book for these forks, regardless of year. I had a fire and had all mine in a parts box that got too hot and they all lost their sprung!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

firstturn

Thanks Richard and Happy New Year.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh