Steel Tanker in France

Started by rob w, February 13, 2022, 05:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Years ago I sold a Penton steel tanker through Ebay, to someone in Europe. It was during my earliest eBay experiences, after the sale, I wished I hadn't listed the sale as "world-wide". It was a complete bike, except for the tires. It took me all of 4 days to take the bike apart, carefully wrap each part, and somehow stuff it all into 4 pretty large boxes. Two boxes went USPS, and two boxes went UPS.
Over the years, I had forgotten where it went, and who it went to.
Today, reading my newest "Still....Keeping Track" POG newsletter - in the "Member Profile" article about Bertrand Heribel - I see a picture of him with that steel tanker.
After seeing the picture, reading what a proud owner he is, and hearing how rare that bike is in France. I now feel great about the effort it took to get it shipped there, and pleased it has such a good home. Thanks to Bertrand, I enjoyed reading his article.   

Daniel P. McEntee

With lots of stuff I have sold, who I sell it to is more important than just getting the money. Went through a similar experience as yours, but not for something I sold. There is a gentleman named David Haines who lived at that time in South Africa, and was a vintage enduro enthusiast and a member of the old VINDURO Yahoo Groups special interest group. He had attended a couple of ISDT reunions Rides and accumulated a few bikes that others where keeping  for him just for that purpose. They were a '79 Husky, a '76 Rokon and a Kawasaki KLX 250, I think. After a while it became necessary to ship the bikes to David's home in South Africa, and since the bikes were near my location, I volunteered for the job. I did this because I had gotten to know David and his friend Gavin who sometimes comes with him and they are great people! I was nervous at first because I had never done anything like that before, but in working with David by email we worked out the logistics of how to break them down for shipping and such, and David took care of the really hard work of arranging the shipping. Several other dominoes fell just right and it all happened at a time where I wasn't terribly busy with life, got lucky and found some acceptable crates on local Craig's List that saved me the trouble of building them, and in retrospect it wasn't very difficult on my part, I learned a lot and helped some one out who I respected a lot. It really cost me next to nothing, and David was very appreciative of my work and rewarded me very satisfactorily with some really nice replica tool bags that he had made that we can't find over here!  I would do it again in a heart beat.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee