KTM clutch bearing cover sleeve inserts?

Started by pentonpal, April 19, 2022, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentonpal

Can anyone tell me if reproduction sleeves have been manufactured for the KTM (old style) clutch bearing covers?  If so, what is required to install?

Thanks,  Pentonpal

Mike Lenz

pentonpal

If you disassemble a KTM bearing cover by punching out the 4x23.8mm bearing needle pin you will be left with two components: the aluminum housing and the disengaging shaft and lever/arm.  The cast aluminum housing contains a steel "sleeve/liner/bushing" where it mates with the the disengaging shaft (high wear area).  This sleeve is cylindrical in shape with approximate dimensions of 18mm ID x 20.3mm OD x 22mm in length.  It has a slot and 2 holes allowing for the pushrod and pin to pass through.  I am assuming this sleeve is a press fit into the aluminum housing and possibly replaceable.

The KTM clutch actuator has 2 wear points: the 4x15.8mm pin in the disengaging shaft, and the steel sleeve which holds the rotating disengaging shaft. As the sleeve wears, lateral play increases at the shaft and lever where play should be none to minimal. By replacing these two parts, the KTM clutch actuator can be brought back to nearly 100% functionality.

A while back I was provided a sleeve, so I know at one time they were available.  Just checking to see if others exist as I would like to obtain a few more.  Pentonpal

KJDonovan

Al Buehner has these pins you are referring to.  When you call, you may want to refer to it as the engagement pin for the clutch push rod.  There is no KTM part number for the pin as it is part of another assembly.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Rain Man

Boy this is where a picture comes in handy!  I must have 4 engine carcasses here with the clutch actuators still assembled?
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

KJDonovan

Good point Ray.  Heres is the process -

1) Remove the pin that holds the lever into the clutch actuator.

2) Remove the pin that holds clutch actuator arm to the barrel that holds the engagement pin

3) The pin that wears (the one that engages the clutch push rod) is installed into a blind hole, so you need to drill a 1/8" hole in the stepped edge of the barrel, then tap out the old pin with a nail set, and tap in the new pin. 

4) Put it all back together and you are good to go.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

pentonpal

I need to post a correction.  On closer inspection of the OEM KTM bearing covers, I no longer believe that they contain a steel "sleeve".  An end on view makes it look like there might be an inserted sleeve, but if one is present, it is not steel (non-magnetic).  Without a steel sleeve, the KTM bearing cover would merely be a cast aluminum housing encasing a steel shaft that rotates.

The replacement bearing cover that Al B. sells does contain a steel sleeve insert and will likely provide a long service life.  The one steel sleeve I have was likely produced in an effort to refurbish the OEM bearing cover.  If I ever pursue getting this sleeve installed I will provide an update.

Thanks Kevin for explaining the engagement pin replacement. That fix may be all that is needed.

Pentonpal