1969 Sachs clutch control

Started by Bill Bean, August 25, 2022, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
Yes, Paul is correct that my dad and I both have small fuel tanks to test run bikes. All you need is to find a small gas tank from a old piece of lawn equipment as most of them already have a petcock on the tank. It works great and saves you from having to put gas in the tank every time you want to run the bike. I believe Motion Pro makes a small plastic tank for this purpose as well. Attached is a picture of my recent 100 Berkshire project being started for the first time after restoration. Let us know how it's going.
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

Well, I used some starter fluid, but it would not fire.
I have spark at the spark plug.
I'm now trying to get the flywheel off, so I can check the points.
I'm using my old puller, but it doesn't want to budge. Back in the 70's. I used to pull the flywheel off every week when I raced the Bike.
So far, I have tried to tap around the flywheel with a plastic hammer,
tap the bolt on the puller (don't want to hit it hard enough to cause problems with the crank shaft).
Applied heat around the center of the flywheel and used some rust buster. Any ideas?

On the temporary fuel tank, I have used a metal tank off of a rototiller to run my 1963 Chevy truck.
It's a great idea.
I bought a gallon of gas last week. It finally got to under $6.00 here in California!
When it fires up with a shot of starter fluid, I will try some gas.

Thanks foe everyone's help,
Bill

Daniel P. McEntee

If you have spark at the plug, then the points should be working. The next thing to check is timing and you need the fly wheel on for that, so might as well check that. Use a fresh plug and check all ignition related wiring to make sure nothing is grounding out when you try to start it.
  Good luck,
  Dan McEntee

Bill Bean

Thank you, Dan,

I put in a new plug. Still wouldn't start. Checked the timing and it is way off. Tried to set the timing. The screws holding the stator were like they were glued or welded in! I stripped the head on one of them. I just used a pair of needle nose vice grips and finally got it out. I used an impact screw remover and got the other two loosened. Did they use some loc-tight on them?

Also, I want to find a flywheel that is no longer usable, so I can cut it apart and use the center with the lobe to set the breakers without mine being installed. This has been really hard on the Back, trying to work through the small slots.

Headed to the local Hardware Store to try and find a new screw.
Found a small gas tank, yesterday,to use as a temporary fuel supply.
We are getting there!

Thank you for your help,
Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting the bike to fire and run. We're you finally able to get your flywheel off using the puller ? Yes, Dan is correct that if you have spark at the plug then the points are working and it could just be that the timing is off enough to create a problem. As far as setting the timing, it can be hard on the back for sure having to make adjustments through the small openings in the flywheel with everything so close to the floor. My suggestion for that would be to lay the bike over on its left side at an approx 45 degree angle so it's easier to see everything and won't spill trans fluid out the fill plug. This way at least you won't have to lay flat on the ground to work on setting the timing. I do have an old unusable Bosch flywheel that I can send you if you'll cover the shipping. Let me know and I'd be happy to send it along. Keep us posted on your progress.
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

Hi Dave,
Yes I got the flywheel off! I put the nut back on the shaft with the top of the nut even with the top of the threads. I used vice grips on the puller and wedged them under the foot peg. Then used a breaker bar gently but firmly and it finial popped off. I had a heck of a time getting the screws out that hold the stator in. I replaced them with stainless steel ones. Do they use lock-tight on them? Trying to set the timing, but with the stator turned all the way clockwise, the points open way before the m mark on the flywheel. It has fired up using the starter fluid. I am now going to mount a small gas tank and try to get it started on gas. I would love to have the flywheel, so I can experiment with it. I have your address and can send the shipping cost to you. Oh, I have a question on the points. Is there some type of lube put on the fabric wiper? I'm done for the night, we have friends coming for dinner.

Really appreciate everyone's help,
Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
Glad to hear you got the flywheel removed and after a little tweaking on the timing we're able to get the bike fired up on starting fluid. Hope it will now start on gasoline too. Did you set the point gap to .018" when fully open before adjusting the timing ? If so, I'd suspect that the rub block on your points could probably worn to the point where you're unable to rotate the stator plate enough to get the timing to the "M" mark. Can always go back and replace the points later and re-time it again once you have the bike running on gasoline. I do not use Loctite on the stator screws on my bikes. A drop of 30w motor oil on the points lubrication pad will help keep them from wearing so quickly. I'll get this old flywheel sent out this coming week. Keep us posted on your progress.
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

Thanks Dave,
Headed out now to work on her. I will reset the points and see if that helps.
I think that you are on to something about them being worn. I will oil the pad.
Where is the best place to buy a new set of points and condenser?
Let me know the cost of shipping on the flywheel. I have your address and will send you a check, if that will be O.K.
Bill

Bill Bean

Dave, Daniel, Paul,
 After over 40 years, she runs again!! I can't tell you how excited I am!!!
Dave, I reset the points and re-adjusted the timing.
Hooked up an old rotor tiller gas tank with some fresh gas.
She started on the third kick.

I put it in gear (with the front tire up against the wall) and the clutch works great!

I can't thank all of you enough for your help.

I tried to attach more pictures, buy can't seem to make it work.Sachs 10-30-22.JPGSachs 10-30-22.JPGSachs 10-30-22 rt side.JPGNot a valid attachment ID.   

Daniel P. McEntee

Well, that's cool! Isn't it so very satisfying when things work like they should after all the work and effort? I guess the resetting of the points gave you the right timing point? The point cam block can wear, but that bike doesn't look like it has enough time on it for it to get that far. I know they make a special grease for that, came in a small tube. I would think any kind of modern light synthetic grease would do, like a lithium water proof grease, just the tiniest of dab on the cam and work it around. . Now that you have everything working and running, run the bike a bit and enjoy it, then go back and recheck your timing point and make sure the stator screws are tight, and the flywheel nut is tight. As the engine runs, sometimes things "settle " or may change a bit. In the heat of battle, you may have forgotten something or not gotten something tight. It pays to double check after all your efforts. Great job!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
Was glad to offer assistance and am very happy to hear that your bike is now up and running. Your bike looks great and appears to be a low time machine. Enjoy the ride after the hard work involved to bring her back to life ! I'll get that old flywheel shipped out and headed your way tomorrow. Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions because this site has a wealth of great people with a wealth of information. Take care.
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

It's hard to believe that this all started back in July. I made (let?) myself take every part off of the bike and clean (lots of oven cleaner!) and buff (where needed). The only things that I painted was the handlebars and the air cleaner cover. I have used rust converter for the rusty parts. I repaired a large tear on the back of the seat (I think it looks great), put on a used tire and tube on the front wheel. I will have to get a new tire for the back. Then there was the clutch, boy am I glad that I found the POG site! Couldn't have done it without all of your help.

Hope you all have a great day!
Bill

Daniel P. McEntee

When I got back into dirt bikes it was with vintage stuff and the first bike I found was a '72 125 Six Days that was a really nice survivor. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to approach what I needed to do with the bike, so just sat on it for a bit. This was about the time the first ISDT Reunion Rides were being held and I met Al Buehner at the first one that was held at St. Joe State Park here in Missouri, and showed the bike to him, and he was impressed at it's condition. He was the first one to advise me to just clean it up as best I could, and leave as much original as I could, because in his words "It's only original once. You can restore something over and over, but it's only original once!" I'm glad I met him before I started in on it and boogered it up bad!! I think you have gone the correct path and done a fine job with it and you should be proud!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
That old flywheel is going out today via USPS Prioriy Mail in a small flat rate box. Cost was $10.40 and should arrive to you on Friday. A check to cover the shipping will be fine. I'm so glad you got your bike up and running again. Enjoy !
Take care !
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

Thanks Dave,
Got it! I will let you know how my experiment goes.
You should have my check.
Bill