1968 Penton Six Day 125 Parts Needed

Started by johnbowman, October 19, 2022, 11:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowman

Good morning fellow POG enthusiasts,

This is John Bowman (#901) from Germantown, Tennessee. As many of you know, I have a fairly early 1968 Penton 125 steel tanker (V0172) in my care. I have decided to start the restoration process. I am not trying to make it factory specs. I am trying to make it what it would have been back in the day after the riders got ahold of it, less the dents and bent fenders. I plan to ride it in AHRMA cross country events with other steel tanker riders. (Yes, Bill Ryburn, I'm talking about you.)

So far, I have a good start. I have a fairly complete roller frame and engine. I'm going to use an iron barrel engine. I'm going to use a six bolt rear hub.

I need the following parts:

1. Front fender stay (Wider 1969+ is okay.)
2. Seat (prefer the original shorter 1968 version, but open to suggestions)
3. Fenders
4. Carb
5. Exhaust pipe and exhaust mounting bracket
6. ISDT control lever adjustors (I have the perch, levers, and covers. I just need the adjustors.)

I'm really excited to save a 1968 steel tanker. I take it very seriously in preserving this small part of Penton history for the future. My goal is to ride this bike and allow people to enjoy it at historic events.

Please feel free to contact me by phone, text, message here on the board, or email ([email protected]). Sorry, but the bike is not for sale.

I would greatly appreciate all advice and help.

John Bowman
(901) 483-1039

johnbowman

Update

Thanks to the awesome POG members, I have located most of the parts that I need.

1. Front fender stay (Wider 1969+ is okay.) (Dave McCullough)
2. Seat (prefer the original shorter 1968 version, but open to suggestions) (Still need)
3. Fenders (Roberto)
4. Carb (Still Need)
5. Exhaust pipe and exhaust mounting bracket (Roberto)
6. ISDT control lever adjustors (I have the perch, levers, and covers. I just need the adjustors.) (If I can't find just the adjustors, Roberto has the whole kit.)

Looks like I'm down to the seat, carb, and adjustors. Gary Ellis is looking through his stash for me. Hopefully, Gary will find the needed parts. Thanks for your help again,  Gary.

A big thanks to Al Buehner. We're really lucky to have someone around that cares about keeping the parts available for these Pentons.

Once again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Kip Kern

Seat base available from RPM racing, new fiberglas. Seat foam available,  DC plastics, new foam

johnbowman

Kip,

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the seat foam from DC plastics.

I had already ordered the seat base from RPM. The seat base needs the studs put in. Very good quality and looks like it will work well.

I guess that I'll have to find a local upholstery shop to make the seat cover. I thought that I bought one from Al, but it was a CMF cover.

I'm getting really close now. Roberto told me that he had the pipe, fenders, and control covers. I haven't been able to get back in touch with him. I hope that he's okay.

John

Quote from: Kip Kern on February 03, 2023, 08:44:19 AMSeat base available from RPM racing, new fiberglas. Seat foam available,  DC plastics, new foam

johnbowman

Has anyone heard from Roberto lately? I've tried several times in the last month to contact him with no success.

KJDonovan

John,

Roberto and I emailed back and forth last week a couple of times.  Here is the email address I have for him [email protected]

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

johnbowman

Kevin,

Thanks. Emailed Roberto. He got back with me. I now have the fenders and Magura controls. I'm only waiting on the pipe!

John

Quote from: KJDonovan on February 27, 2023, 05:07:13 PMJohn,

Roberto and I emailed back and forth last week a couple of times.  Here is the email address I have for him [email protected]

Thanks,

Kevin

johnbowman

Update on the long, slow process of trying to save the 1968 steel tanker.

I'm down to the carb. I need a good working 27mm Bing carb.

If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

John