55 years ago today, March 8th. 1968.......

Started by Paul Danik, March 07, 2023, 04:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings. 55 years ago today, March 7th. 1968, the first ten serial production Pentons arrived in Cleveland by airfreight. Doug Wilford's dad, Wally, picked them up at the airport and hauled them to Amherst. By the 8th of March, 6 of them were on their way to the Stone Mountain National enduro in Georgia.

The six riders of those machines were Al Born, Tom Penton, Leroy Winters, Larry Maiers, Dave Mungenast, and of course John Penton.  In the John Penton book John states, "I don't think anyone was very impressed with the motorcycles at Stone Mountain, but the fact that some top riders were riding them got people's attention."  And now, 55 years after their arrival, those Pentons are still getting people's attention.

From the Stone Mountain event the Penton Team headed to the Alligator enduro that ran the next weekend. In some photos I have seen, the Penton van and cycles were parked right near the tunnel that goes under the Speedway and allows access to the infield.  In talking with Larry Maiers about that fact a week or so ago, he mentioned how the Alligator started just across the road from the Speedway, as back then it was all woods. Larry also stated that the Alligator ended in the middle of nowhere and one had to ride some old roads to get back to the Speedway.

The first two Pentons to be sold were sold to Larry Maiers and Al Born. Attached are a copy of Al's receipt and the original of Larry's receipt. It is interesting to note that the same engine number was used on both receipts. I am sure that John figured that no one would ever notice !

Daniel P. McEntee

Is the where abouts of those first ten known to anyone today? I think it may have been brought up at the 50th anniversary, but a lot can happen in 5 years and maybe a few more have been discovered in a barn or garage some where. How many of the original 10 are accounted for?
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

skiracer

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa