Lectron Carb Specs for 1977 GS6 175 Engine

Started by johnbowman, May 08, 2023, 11:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowman

Good morning.

I'm getting closer to finishing my 1977 MC5/GS6 project. The bike didn't come with a carb. Does anyone know the original specs for a Lectron for the 1977 GS6 175 engine?

Carb size
Carb length
Diameter for intake side
Diameter for breather side

Thanks!

John

skiracer

John, Are you asking what the original Lectron specs were, or, are you asking about a new Lectron carb?  If you are asking about a new one, the factory can build the intake bell to match the rubber boot on your airbox.  The motor side will be the standard 40mm.  They will also set up the carb to with the proper metering rod, and have the length pre-set for you.  My experience is the rod length is usally within a 1/2 turn of where I wanted it to be. The factory has some great people working for them and are always helpful whenever I called with a question or an issue. 
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

johnbowman

Quote from: skiracer on May 10, 2023, 07:50:20 AMJohn, Are you asking what the original Lectron specs were, or, are you asking about a new Lectron carb?  If you are asking about a new one, the factory can build the intake bell to match the rubber boot on your airbox.  The motor side will be the standard 40mm.  They will also set up the carb to with the proper metering rod, and have the length pre-set for you.  My experience is the rod length is usally within a 1/2 turn of where I wanted it to be. The factory has some great people working for them and are always helpful whenever I called with a question or an issue. 

Thanks. I called Lectron yesterday. They were really helpful. They said that I needed the dimensions and they would make me a carb. I agree with you on the new vs. used. Probably better to just get a new one.

The bike is still in pieces. I have the Lectron boot for the air box. I can measure the spigot outside diameter and the airbox boot inside diameter. Since I don't have a carb, I can't get the carb length. I know that it just has to be close, but I don't know what close is on the overall length.

Do you know the total length of your 34mm carb?

skiracer

Hey John, just read your question today.  I will get the info tomorrow for you.  Yes they are a great bunch down there and will spend the time to answer any questions or concerns you have.  FYI, you can also choose which side the fuel comes into the carb too!  I am running the HP model on my 175, which is now their second in line carb. I have these carbs in both of my MC-5 frames which I believe has the same round air box as your bike, yes?  It is tight but it works.  The good thing is that you only have to take the slider out to do any adjustments!  Once you find your sweet spot, your pretty much done forever.....
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

johnbowman

skiracer

Okay carb specs on my 34mm.
Inlet 57mm
Outlet 40mm
Length 98mm
Airbox boot 5508026500
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

johnbowman

Awesome! Thanks for the details. That's exactly what I needed. I'm just going to get one from Lectron using those specs.

Thanks for taking the time to help! I really appreciate it.

skiracer

Quote from: johnbowman on May 13, 2023, 10:09:11 PMAwesome! Thanks for the details. That's exactly what I needed. I'm just going to get one from Lectron using those specs.

John, be sure to measure the airbox boot before ordering the carb.  My connection to the carb is real tight, you might want to reduce the inlet bell a bit (a couple of mm) How tight? I have to stretch the boot to get it on the carb instead  of it just slipping on.  Your call.  Glad to be able to help.  Just paying it forward from all the help I have gotten in the past from others.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

johnbowman

Quote from: skiracer on May 14, 2023, 07:24:45 AM
Quote from: johnbowman on May 13, 2023, 10:09:11 PMAwesome! Thanks for the details. That's exactly what I needed. I'm just going to get one from Lectron using those specs.

John, be sure to measure the airbox boot before ordering the carb.  My connection to the carb is real tight, you might want to reduce the inlet bell a bit (a couple of mm) How tight? I have to stretch the boot to get it on the carb instead  of it just slipping on.  Your call.  Glad to be able to help.  Just paying it forward from all the help I have gotten in the past from others.

Sounds good. I think that I'll just take it down 1mm on the inlet side. Even 1mm will make a big difference. I'm about to call Lectron now. Thanks for your help.

skiracer

John, did you get the carb on your bike yet?  Iquiring minds want to know!
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

johnbowman

Skiracer,

I'm using the OEM alloy air box. I have the air boot from Al (52-06-026-500). The carb side of the air boot is 67mm inside diameter.

Are you using a different air boot and/or airbox with a 57mm bell that's hard to get the boot on?

John

skiracer

John, the boot I am using off the air box is 5508026500.  I have the stock air box (round filter.) Let me know if you have any other questions.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa