70-71 Steel Tanker Centerstand

Started by Kip Kern, May 08, 2023, 04:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Hi to all, looking for the above please. Thanks in advance! [email protected]

Kip Kern

Daniel P. McEntee

I got a center stand for my late little brother's '71 Berkshire from the eBay seller Parmabike, the guy from Italy I think that does the Penton/KTM repop parts. Can't remember his real name but he's a member here4 and will deal direct at a discount to POG members if I'm remembering correctly.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Kip Kern

Roberto is unable to get anymore from Italy.  Just spoke to him yesterday,  but thanks!

skiracer

Looks simple enough to make one, no?  All you need is the width from the frame mounts, your hight of how high you want the wheel off the ground, and what type of stops you need.  I have made over a dozen of them for my Penton's, PE's and Hercules.
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Kip Kern

May have to make one sometime, but no time right now. Assembling bikes for Mid-Ohio delivery.

Daniel P. McEntee

Quote from: skiracer on May 10, 2023, 07:56:07 AMLooks simple enough to make one, no?  All you need is the width from the frame mounts, your hight of how high you want the wheel off the ground, and what type of stops you need.  I have made over a dozen of them for my Penton's, PE's and Hercules.

They are pretty simple to make but what's important is where it attaches to the frame and how it runs through it's arc from up to down when it use. It's best to copy an original if you can, or work from a good drawing. I'm pretty sure the Steel Tankers were designed for a center stand and did not have a side stand. There are little do dads and things on every frame for installing one. One size does NOT fit all as I think the frames changes a bit through the steel tanker run. I saw a chance to get one from Roberto at the time I was looking for one and just went that route. It's holding up the bike in the shed right now. I've retired, and don't have access to all the neat metal working tool and shop I had use to have, but I'm working on it!! I am scheduled for knee surgery next week or I would offer to copy mine. I figure I will be down for a month to two months and then will see how I can get around. I haven't even been able to work on a bike for quite a while, and I have to see how well I take to the new knee and what mobility and flexibility I get back. The right knee will still need to be done  in the future. If you have all the metal working tools on hand and room to work, they can be fabricated in 6 or 8 hours starting from scratch.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Kip Kern

Thanks Dan, was able to source a used "69" model.  Greatly appreciate all!

Daniel P. McEntee

Quote from: Kip Kern on May 10, 2023, 05:27:45 PMThanks Dan, was able to source a used "69" model.  Greatly appreciate all!

Cool! When you get it, let us know if it fit right on. When I was researching and looking into this I think I remember reading there were three different ones, but can't remember where the dividing lines were. '70 and '71 might have been the same but don't know if '68 was in there or not.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Kip Kern

Dan,
"68" was its own design and curved, spring on the vertical side. "69" was a little more straight, spring on the vertical side and later,some on the horizontal rail. "70-71" was straight, spring on the horizontal rail.  The models with the spring on the vertical side flopped when ridden so it was moved to the horizontal rail adding more tension and no flop. Of course, this info subject to change as bikes were assembled with specific parts until they ran out then changed to something different.