77 MC5 250 FOR SALE

Started by dietrich.38, January 17, 2001, 04:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dietrich.38

It has a new PVL ignition system and just installed new crank seals and bottom end gaskets.  Its all there and runs excellent. Old pics can be seen on //www.geocities.com/keithdietrich/penton.html
New pics should be up by the end of the week.
When I put in the crank seals, I cleaned and painted almost everything that needed it. It wasn't a correct restoration but more of a presevation from corrosion.  email me for more info.  [email protected]  Anyone interested, make me an offer.

Chris Brown

Nice looking Evo racer.
Someone should snap it up.

Chris

Dennis Jones

Where are you located and how much is it worth?

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

dietrich.38

For everybodies information, the bike is in Columbus, Ohio.  As for what it is worth, can some of the veteran Penton owners help me out?

Chris Brown

First, may I qualify this as _MY_ opinion. After all, you asked for it.

Feel free to debate my points:

Wow, valuation sight-unseen....
Factors in some semblence of order:
condition
condition
condition
and then, uniqueness of model
intended purpose
level of desire of the buyer
local interest/activities for vintage

Lucky for the internet, it's easy to expose an item (any item) nationally without much cost or effort. This makes your access to a possible interested party much higher, hence generating a higher possible value.

From your pictures it looks like a complete, straight bike with a fairly normal "ridden" look. It also looks authentic, so qualifies for someone that would want it to restore to new condition.

If the working components are still functioning properly, ie. shocks, seals, brakes, controls, and serviceable things, it might make a nice entry level rider for someone wanting to vintage race.

It's also of suffecient displacement to make a decent trail/sport rider albiet not as smooth as a newer bike that could be had for probably less than this bike is "probably" worth. I love my 400 for trail and desert riding, as a play bike; this bike would put out good power and handle well for a sport rider as well.

I'm not familiar with any particular rarity of this model (well, all Pentons are rare) like some of the really early bikes. However it's the last year they were sold as Pentons, so a buyer may be drawn to the peak of development for the brand. It races in the later model class under all vintage racing rules.

Complete cores ready for restoration, even if they don't run, are worth a few hundred dollars to me. If there is some rarity to the model or if they are older they can be worth much more.

The potential buyer is the key to the value of your machine. The question is, is that buyer a collector or a rider?

A good running rider or possibly race-ready bike with everything working (not necessarily new, as long as everything works) seem to sell in the $800-$1,600 range. Yes it's a large spread because of the other factors.

Completely restored models of any type that are within specification of factory new condition, both appearance and running condition, can bring $2,000 to $7,000, again, depending on model and condition. I think Rick Doughty at Vintage Iron here in southern California, consistantly gets $4,000 to $7,000 to restore an old race bike to better than factory new condition. He has a Maico on the showroom he claims is worth $15,000. A complete restoration is very costly and time consuming, done right, and then, is the bike worth that much to a potential buyer?

So, the answer to your value question is to place your machine in a value catagory of what you believe is it's honest condition, and what you think a buyer of either collector or rider might be willing to pay you for it.

Alternatively, place it for auction and set a reserve at a level you'd be willing to part with it under your current financial condition and see what's bid on it. If it sells.... it sells! If it doesn't you can decide if you want to drop the price or hang on to it until you decide to offer it up for sale again.

I'm always cash poor because my spendable income is already tied up in toys, so I would only be willing to bid a rediculous amount to "steal" it. A fair transaction is a seller willing to sell, and a buyer willing to buy - at a fair market value.

When someone sells a machine, always try to find out what they sold it for, as that will help differentiate for you the the true value selling price from "asking prices", in an average sale. If someone tells you they just HAD to sell, then they probably sold it for less than it's true market value.

So much for my ramblings.... and sorry for being so long winded. My wife's out tonight, and I'm too tired to work on my latest project (Penton 6Days) so I have nothing else to do!

Cheers!  Chris

gooey

well put ... kind of expresses my feelings,, although I am cash poor cuz my boss is a cheapskate,, not cuz its tied up in toys ,,, so I can only buy the really rough stuff and that gets VERY frustrating,,, albeit rewarding

swede74

Quotequote:

condition
condition
condition
intended purpose

Lucky for the internet, it's easy to expose an item (any item) nationally without much cost or effort. This makes your access to a possible interested party much higher, hence generating a higher possible value.

From your pictures it looks like a complete, straight bike with a fairly normal "ridden" look. It also looks authentic, so qualifies for someone that would want it to restore to new condition.

If the working components are still functioning properly, ie. shocks, seals, brakes, controls, and serviceable things, it might make a nice entry level rider for someone wanting to vintage race.

It's also of suffecient displacement to make a decent trail/sport rider albiet not as smooth as a newer bike that could be had for probably less than this bike is "probably" worth. I love my 400 for trail and desert riding, as a play bike; this bike would put out good power and handle well for a sport rider as well.

I'm not familiar with any particular rarity of this model (well, all Pentons are rare) like some of the really early bikes. However it's the last year they were sold as Pentons, so a buyer may be drawn to the peak of development for the brand. It races in the later model class under all vintage racing rules.

Complete cores ready for restoration, even if they don't run, are worth a few hundred dollars to me. If there is some rarity to the model or if they are older they can be worth much more.

The potential buyer is the key to the value of your machine. The question is, is that buyer a collector or a rider?

A good running rider or possibly race-ready bike with everything working (not necessarily new, as long as everything works) seem to sell in the $800-$1,600 range. Yes it's a large spread because of the other factors.

Completely restored models of any type that are within specification of factory new condition, both appearance and running condition, can bring $2,000 to $7,000, again, depending on model and condition. I think Rick Doughty at Vintage Iron here in southern California, consistantly gets $4,000 to $7,000 to restore an old race bike to better than factory new condition. He has a Maico on the showroom he claims is worth $15,000. A complete restoration is very costly and time consuming, done right, and then, is the bike worth that much to a potential buyer?

So, the answer to your value question is to place your machine in a value catagory of what you believe is it's honest condition, and what you think a buyer of either collector or rider might be willing to pay you for it.

Alternatively, place it for auction and set a reserve at a level you'd be willing to part with it under your current financial condition and see what's bid on it. If it sells.... it sells! If it doesn't you can decide if you want to drop the price or hang on to it until you decide to offer it up for sale again.

I'm always cash poor because my spendable income is already tied up in toys, so I would only be willing to bid a rediculous amount to "steal" it. A fair transaction is a seller willing to sell, and a buyer willing to buy - at a fair market value.

When someone sells a machine, always try to find out what they sold it for, as that will help differentiate for you the the true value selling price from "asking prices", in an average sale. If someone tells you they just HAD to sell, then they probably sold it for less than it's true market value.

So much for my ramblings.... and sorry for being so long winded. My wife's out tonight, and I'm too tired to work on my latest project (Penton 6Days) so I have nothing else to do!

Cheers!  Chris

swede74

Quotequote:

condition
condition
condition
intended purpose

Cheers!  Chris

Heinz Raidel

Free unsolicited opinion for whatever its worth:

I rode this bike last Saturday in the snow, we changed plugs and lowered the needle and the bike ran strong on very old gas. (ever experience an internal rotor "hit" in 3 inches of snow?)

Its not a perfect restoration, but it isn't rusty, the shocks are perfect and all the parts are there.    

If you want a really good evo racer this bike deserves a look.

-Heinz R

\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

dietrich.38

For everybody's information the bike is still for sale.  It is running excellent except at idle, I don't know what's going on there.  I am asking $1000 for it and think it is well worth it for an evo racer or trail rider.  If anyone has any questions or wants to see/ride the bike call me at 614-299-3670 anytime.  Thanks, KEITH

Jeff Anthony

Would you be interested in making a trade for another Penton?

dietrich.38

Sorry, fellas. The bike is sold. Thanks for all your interest.

rem5889

Sir,

Russ Miller here,  we have talked. The last time you called me I had the Flu big time!  You were going to call me back as you wanted to know if I wanted your bike for $1000.  The answer is yes.  If this is still a good number, give me a call at 875-5451 and we will get this done.

Thanks

rem5889

Sir,

Russ Miller here,  we have talked. The last time you called me I had the Flu big time!  You were going to call me back as you wanted to know if I wanted your bike for $1000.  The answer is yes.  If this is still a good number, give me a call at 875-5451 and we will get this done.

Thanks

rem5889

Sir,

Thanks