75 Jackpiner Rebuild Questions

Started by AndyL, December 12, 2002, 09:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyL

I have started to take apart the motor on the 75 Jackpiner that I recently aquired and I have some questions. (FYI:F#54504 83591, E# 5-5207892, motor casting date:11/72, clutch side cover casting date:2/75)

1) How should I go about replacing the threads in the case 1/2 for the studs that hold the cylinder and head?  Helicoil? One is marginal and one is completely gone.

2) The red plastic on the stator ring behind the flywheel is cracked in several places (looks like from heat/vibration), do I need to worry about it if the unit tests out ok?

3) Although this motor looks as if it has eaten the rings, the clutch side of the motor looks like it has never been opened up. (also the screws for the stator ring were clean with sharp edges on the slots).  The pinion gear and the 8 pins holding the clutch pack all had splashes of light blue paint on them.  Is this comon from the factory or is it just from a previous rebuild?

Thanks

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Kip Kern

#1 Yes, helicoil/recoil will work
#2 If it tests OK, it's OK. You can cover the cracks with a fine layer of epoxy to prevent moisture. Do not use silicone unless approved for electronics!
#3 The blue stuff is common from the factory!  Won't hurt to open things up to check them out.

AndyL

THanks Kip!
I appreciate the info.

I have some other questions now that I have the cases split and can see what the problem was but I will do a search first to see what I can find out before asking.
Thanks again,

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA