shocking news

Started by cardojr, January 08, 2003, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cardojr

I was just told by the doc to quit all but gentle riding as most of my discs have gone away--i told him real men don't need discs-the have drums-he didn't see the humor.
Does anyone have comments as to the best shocks to put on the mighty penton (or 125s in general) and still retain the original look? I dont mind increasing travel an inch or two. I'm looking for the best ride for very light trail riding-if I can keep up with the kid on his xr 100, the doc says I'm going too fast. Fork tuning info in this matter would also be appreciated-
 p.s. hey dwight--note that the kid is riding a "not penton"-I saw the light!!!
thanks-rob card

Jeff Reid

Rob, I know I am biased but Ohlins offers a really fine shock for any vintage bike. I could tell they are great but of course I would- I work for Ohlins! Ask anyone who has used them. Don't listen to those who say they've heard this or that- ask someone who actually has riden with them. If you buy Ohlins for your bike and don't agree they are the best you ever tried I'll take them back for a full refund. Tell us how you ride and your personal specs and we'll be sure to get you a good set-up.

Jeff Reid, VP Ohlins USA, Husqvarna and Penton/KTM collector
Jeff Reid

classof74

Hi Rob, I have Ohlins on all my Husqvarna race bikes (5) and I wouldn't ride with any other shock. Yes, they are more expensive, but well worth the money. I'm sure if you give Jeff the application and your weight, you'll get a modern shock that will allow you to enjoy many more years of riding. If you're lucky, you might even be able to get your medical insurance to pay for them....sorry, I was dreaming for a moment. Spend the extra money and buy Ohlins, I guarantee you will be pleased with the performance

Dwight Rudder

I know that Ohlins are great shocks and Jeff can set them up right for you. Just make sure that they are extra plush for your back.
I have had lots of experiance with Works Performance and I have always had them set up "right" when they arrived. They work on a different system from the Ohlins. Not better but different. If you decide to go with Works tell them I sent you and that want them to work extra plush to protect your back. You can also tell them if you need more travel.  You could go with 13.5" and still get up to an 1" more travel at rear wheel.
Cher'o,
Dwight

PS: I am considering trying a set of the Ohlins on my Hercules GS175/7a because they do have piggyback reservior that the oringinals had.  SO THAR , is my 2 cents worth.

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Jeff Reid

Dwight,
My offer to let you try a set of Ohlins is still good. Let me know what bike and the particulars. Yes, we use a different system than other brands-the same system used in Winston Cup Champion Tony Stewart's shocks and our WRC Rally products. There is a reason modern racing shocks use a shim type valve system. Give me a call and we'll build you something to try.

Jeff Reid, VP Ohlins USA, Husqvarna and Penton/KTM collector
Jeff Reid