Spokes for Penton

Started by Chris Brown, January 30, 2001, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brown

Buchanan's double shipped me on stainless spokes for Penton 125. I said I would see if someone wanted them from this forum before I return them.
Fronts are 8" - 9ga, rears are 6.5" - 9ga, with stainless nipples. Cost is $150 for a complete set.
Any interest?
Chris

tim bowers

Chris I do not need those but does Buchanan's
have spokes for 400's(76-77).Do I have to
send my wheels?

Thanks
TB

Chris Brown

Yes. I have a set on my 400. They are super duty and stay nice and shiney!
I was also told the the magnesium hubs were not as strong as the aluminum hubs and that's why they are laced up "cross 3".

Chris

Oh, and you can order spokes and lace your own wheels. It's a little tricky, but definately do-able.

Edited by - chris brown on 01/30/2001  11:26:52 PM

Edited by - chris brown on 01/31/2001  12:10:15 AM

gooey

chris,, i will need to re-do the wheels on my 73 piner eventually,, I have obtailned akront mud catchers ( mostly because they just LOOK the way I think period MX wheels should look,, and they are high quality and polish nicely )... even though im not going to do that bike actively just yet,, I may be intersted,,, except Im not sure if they are the same spokes ,,, and Im not very bright about this size thing ... what do you know ??? you were thru the Piner thing ....

1973 Jackpiner 175,          my  "real" name is Mark McGrew, my friends call me Gooey,, Please,, call me Gooey!

Chris Brown

My 73 had the same style hubs as the 72, and the same lacing pattern as the front hub of the 78. The 78 had "MAGNESIUM" cast into the side of it, and the spoke holes are much larger.

The 72 has a cross-2 pattern. When you look at the side of the hub, where 2 spokes pull opposite of each other, do they pull 180degrees from each other or do they form about a 120 degree angle to each other. The former has been label the "cross-3" lacing pattern. The 72 spokes are shorter than 73 on, and I suspect fit earlier models as well. The KTM engined conical rear hub is unique to it's own. I think they came on the 250 and larger bikes. Best bet is to measure your spoke length and re-lace the wheels the same as they came.

Since you got replacement rims, make sure the rims are drilled for the correct angle for the pattern you use. Otherwise you'll suffer bent and broken spokes. Also, the inner and outer spokes have a different bend to the hub-end of them.

Email me a photo of your hub (assuming they're still laced to rims) and I'll fill you in on the spokes you need. Larry and Al both have spoke sets, but they are the old zinc plated and silver painted ones that came new. They rust and chip, however they are stock! (and a lot less money)

Chris