WM-3 DID Rim Question

Started by imported_n/a, January 28, 2003, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I found an NOS WM-3 DID 36-hole 18-inch rim that was drilled for a full-width hub.  I compared it to the rear steel rim on my '72 Six Day, which is much narrower.  My question is:  Will a WM-3 rim with a 4.00 knobby on it have clearance problems with the chain guard and even the swingarm?  Does anybody have any experience in this regard?

Thanks.  Glenn

Randy Kirkbride

Glenn,
My 75 Six Days came with a WM-3. I know the swing arms are different but I can measure mine tonight and let you know what it measures on the inside. There is no wear on the swing arm from the tire but there was a little on the chainguard brackets. Hope this helps.

imported_n/a

Thanks, Randy.  I think I'll be lacing it up to use for the upcoming season.

Glenn

Doug Wilford

Glenn; Your combination will work okay, just make sure you align the rim with no wobbles. It is going to be a very close fit but it should work.  The worst that can happen is you may need to trim off the edges of the knobs on that side of the tire.

imported_n/a

Thank you, Doug.  I will carefully lace and true the rim.  

I remember, a long time ago, when I put DID's on my '73 Jackpiner, I used sheet-metal screws and not rim locks, and never had a problem.  Do you have any suggestion on how deep into the tire the screws should stick to work, so I can get the proper length screws?

Glenn

Randy Kirkbride

Glenn,
I measured the swingarm last night. From the back of the chainguard to the other side of the swingarm is 130mm. I had just a few rubbing marks on the chainguard & brackets. I think you're OK if you have the same distance.

imported_n/a

Thanks, Randy and Doug.

Glenn