Rim Drilling

Started by desmond197, January 30, 2003, 08:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

Any hints on used rims. I have several nice DID rims. How do I check if they are drilled correctly for the Penton full with hubs.

Doug Wilford

First you have to have only 36 holes for a full width hub the outward angle of the holes on both sides will be the same two different angles.   If you have some spokes and nipples you could use a few in the holes to see if the angles are equal, hope this helps.

desmond197

Thanks I also found some good info in the Waldriges catolog. Should I get a proto lace the wheel. I have restored a lot of bikes and consider myself a good machinist and craftman but I have never done any wheel lacing. I have a friend that laces wheels and he says it is easy. I am a little hesitant  to lace wheels on a dirt bike as I have been known to ride them kind of hard.

Rocket

desmond,
Lacing wheels is really fairly easy.  Just take your time and think about what you are doing.  If you have another wheel to look at, the job is even easier.  Some wheels have to be laced with an offset to clear the chain but I am thinking on the full width Penton hubs it is equal on both sides.  When I do a wheel, I run all of the nipples up approximately the same distance on the threads and go from there for truing.  The conical rear hubs are the hardest to do, they have an offset and spokes are a lot harder to get in.
Rocket