MC5 250

Started by Cathump, February 12, 2003, 06:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathump

I have a problem with my '78 MC5. This this is just too tall for my stuuby legs. I can get on and ride just fine, but if I stop, or have to dab and when I go to get off it is clumsy.

If anyone else has this problem, what did you do? I really don't want to cut the seat down, and was wondering if the swingarm from a '77 would be a direct bolt on? I don't really need all the suspension travel I have now. I also know I would have to shorten the front a like amount.

Rick Terry

Steve Minor

Have you tried all shock mount positions to see if it makes a difference?

Steve Minor

Cathump

On the '78 (mine at least) there are not multiple shock mounts.

I have compared pics between the '77 and '78, and the '77 lower shock mount looks to be about 3" farther to the rear.

I realize I could use shorter shocks, but I have a nice set of Fox Airshox, and don't want to lose them.

Edited by - cathump on 02/12/2003  8:55:21 PM
Rick Terry

tomale

Hey cat,
I am not sure that your bike comes with different shock mounting positions. I think that the '75 did but my 76 250 MC5 does not. It should not be all that different, however I think that the easiest way to solve this problem is to use a shorter shock and springs. As for the front I guess you could cut the fork springs. My brother use to do that for His flat tracker. MY concern is will you be able to replace them if you need to. Maybe some of the other guys can help you with availability. Have you thought of getting an older bike that would not be of such a problem. I know that this is hard to hear but maybe the bike is just too big for you. I use to ride some of the same courses as Magoo chandler... remember Him? He was one of the fab four for the Motocross De nations, any way He was pretty small too I think maybe 5'5" tall and I use to watch Him when he was still a local rider and he would have some one hold up his bike at the starting line. I am sure that it is tough but hang in there and twist that trottle.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Cathump

Thom,
Lowering the front end would be the easiest part to me. I would actually raise the tubes in the clamps first to see what that gets me, safely.

The best thing for me would have been to keep growing. LOL

Rick Terry

Mike Lenz

A 76-77 swingarm will bolt on and may work for your needs however the tire may hit the fender before the shock bottems out? To lower the front end you need to put spacers on top of the top out springs on the dampening rods and use the stock springs without the extra short spring on top if you cant slide them up enough. The springs should stick out of the tube about a half inch to work correctly. You can control this by how long of spacers you put on the d rods and/or soacers in the top. I did this on a pair of 38mm forks to limit travel to 9 inches as I have them on a 77 for the Historic class. Worked out for me nicely.

Cathump

Mike,
That is the way I have always lowered forks myself, plus back in the day, you could use shorter top out springs to increase travel.

I actually have a bid on a complete '76 frame on E-Bay, so that would make it even easier.

Edited by - cathump on 02/13/2003  11:11:47 PM
Rick Terry

tomale

Hi cat,
I started riding when I was 18 at the time I was still only 5'2" I thought I would never grow, My son is short for his age too. So I think I understand....... well a little bit anyway.... no pun intended.
on my MC5 you can't lower the front end by raising the tubes. the handle bars get in the way.At least not more than a half an inch. I would think that would not be enough but I like what mike had to say about lowering the front end and the use of a 76 swing arm sounds good too.
good luck with your project

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W