mounting rear wheel

Started by chris p., February 20, 2003, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris p.

my question is while mounting or dismounting the rear wheel on my 76 125 it seems to be quite a battle.  its as if either the swing arm is too narrow or the wheel assembly is too wide.  with some effort and a couple of prying tools it can be done, but just doesnt seem right.  has anyone out there come accross anything like this????also the cresent shaped chain tighteners do they just ride up against the shok bracket fo the stop?

rob w

Chris,
You must either have something bent or the wrong parts. I know your chain adjusters are wrong, they should be stamped metal, formed into a deep "U" shape, with a 8mm square nut welded on the inside, they straddle the end of the swingarm and use a bolt in the end for adjustments.

Is your 76 125, KTM or Sachs powered. I ask that because I have a MC5 (KTM) model here, I could find what the dimension of the span should be inside the swingarms.

The make-up of the rear wheel parts should be- a chain adjuster, brake backing plate, hub (wheel), spacer which is apx. 1 13/16" long, and the other chain adjuster.

Make sure you have the correct factory parts, if they're right, then maybe the swingarm got bent somehow. Measure that accurately, and let me know.

Bob W

chris p.

Quotequote:
Chris,
You must either have something bent or the wrong parts. I know your chain adjusters are wrong, they should be stamped metal, formed into a deep "U" shape, with a 8mm square nut welded on the inside, they straddle the end of the swingarm and use a bolt in the end for adjustments.

Is your 76 125, KTM or Sachs powered. I ask that because I have a MC5 (KTM) model here, I could find what the dimension of the span should be inside the swingarms.

The make-up of the rear wheel parts should be- a chain adjuster, brake backing plate, hub (wheel), spacer which is apx. 1 13/16" long, and the other chain adjuster.

Make sure you have the correct factory parts, if they're right, then maybe the swingarm got bent somehow. Measure that accurately, and let me know.

Bob W