Penton paints

Started by clayman, February 22, 2003, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

I am nearly ready to begin restoration on my 1970 Penton 125, but need the following information: What paint color is the tank? Any suggestions on what to use?? Also, what about frame paint?
Thanks much!

crash carden

Hello Clayman, I have a restoration paint chart that states 1968-71 steel tank 125 color is L79835 green metalic, steel tank side panels,L79621 white,  Frame,L15001 silver metalic. All paint products are R/M Brand Limco Supreme Single Stage.Pre-paint cleaner,Dupont 3949S. Primer,SEM Self Etching 39681 Gray. Scotch Brite(Brown)after primer and between coats. Reducer,LR1272. Hardener,LH85. Steel tanks black stripe separates two tone with white stripe 1/2 inch above black stripe.Shock Bodies All, L13572 Black. Hope this helps you out I got this restoration paint chart from a penton parts dealer. My paint& body man tells me that a pint of each color will be enough for multi coats and with paint left over for touch ups. Good luck, Crash.

clayman

Crash,
Thanks very much for the paint info! That is a huge help for me. Now all I have to do is round up some of the missing pieces....seat, airbox and pipe!
Thanks again,
Clay

namgar

Does anybody have info on what colors to use if doing a "spraycan" restoration?  I have heard that the PJ1 KTM silver/gray is the correct frame color, but I'm looking for a match for tank and sidecover for a '72 125.
William R Gahrmann

namgar

I'm looking for a a paint color for a can of spray paint.  Something like Duplicolor #XXXXX not as formula for a paint to have made for a spraygun application.  Does anyone know what the closest color match that I can buy at the local KMart is?

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Randy Kirkbride

namgar,
That paint formula is available in aresol cans.
They will mix them for you at a PPG store. That formula was scanned from a Six Days tank.  Cost is approx $15 a can.
Randy

namgar

My PPG guy says I have to buy a case.  That's 12 cans at 9.95 each.  I am not willing to pay $120 to get one can of paint and I don't need twelve.  So if anyone knows of a Krylon or Duplicolor, or some other color/brand of paint that is readily avaiable at a hardware store/Kmart/WalMart, not a specialty paint store, can they please pass that information along?  I just want something that is going to be easy to get, cheap, and easy to replace.  I'm only interested in close enough that it looks good and they all look about the same color of green to me, except maybe the florescents.

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

James

Sorry I just joined board yesterday...Duplicolor T154w-light slate. I have seen at Wal-mart and most auto parts. This is a LAQUER-and should not be sprayed over enamel. It also needs to be top coated with clear. I reccomend duplicolor's high heat clear for durability. Next one for me will be powder coated-I can wait until it is done this time. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

SoCal996

Checked with my local PPG supplier on the cost of the green formula posted on the restoration page. The cost of one pint of paint is $30 to $40 (sorry about my short-term memory), and each spray can is $6.95 no minimum on the the cans, but I was told a pint would make 4 aerosol cans. There was also a premixed yellow posted somewhere that is supposed to be close to original which is about $15 per can. These are California prices and we all know the premium we pay to live on the west coast.

Brian