Bent Wheels,Help!!

Started by crash carden, March 11, 2003, 11:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash carden

I have steel rims on my 72 jackpiner with full hubs.I have mounted new tires,only to find I have slightly bent rims, front worse than rear.The rims are in alignment,however when I spin the rim & tire and look at the tire tread straight on I can see the tire tread dip in a bit,rims appear to be bent. My questions are,#1 can this be repaired? #2 Does it require the tire being removed from the rim? #3 Whats the best way to do this repair and what tools do I use? I would like to use the steel rims because thats the original set up, but I want them to be true/straight. If they can't be straighten as good as new I have a set of akront alloy rims that I can use. The front alloy rim has a full hub, no problem, however the rear alloy rim has a cone shaped hub. Next question. Can I lace the original rear full/cush hub from the steel rim to the alloy rim by using the full/cush hub spokes from the steel rim ? The akront alloy rim is about 1/2" or so wider than the steel rim. Will the spokes lace up ok? Will the wider alloy rim have enough clearence on the original 72 swingarm? The steel rims are from a late 1972 jackpiner,the akront alloy rims are from a 1974 jackpiner. What are my opptions? Do I need a big hammer, or new rims? Thanks for any help, Crash Carden.

john durrill

Crash,
 just a thought, but is the bead on the tire all the way out ? look close at the tire where it touches the rim . there should be a line all the way around. Its like a small raised casting mark from the mold. is it the same distance from the rim ever where?
I think the 74 rear rim is a 40 hole and your 72 is a 36 hole ( for the spokes ) and they won't interchange.
 a wider rim will useually give you tire clearance problems.
 check and see if the tire bead is seated.
 if its not let the air out and get some lube , use it on the bead all the way around and air it up till it come all the way out.
 I know on my 73 rear I have to do that, 3 or 4 times before it will seat all the way. you can use dish washing soap and water to make a lube up if you have to but its a bit corrosive and the stuff made for tires is better.
 John D.

Rocket

I have found that WD40 works best for mounting tires.  When it dries the slickness goes away and the tire won't spin on the rim.  Cleans up nice too.
John is correct on the 40 hole rim with the conical hub.  You should be able to use any 36 hole rear rim and lace to your hub, just watch the width of the rim you use.
Rocket

desmond197

When using a used rim you have to use a rim from the same style and aproximate size hub so that the spoke angle drilled into the rim will match. Look for a rim from a bike with full width hubs. The hub diameters do not have to match but should be close.

john durrill

Crash,
 if you have to buy new rims, Speed and Sport can get you rims that fit. i have one from them on the rear of my 73.
John D.

crash carden

Thanks John,Rocket,and Desmond! John it turns out your thought was correct,there is more than one area that the tire bead is not fully seated,Thank GOD! I say this because I just spent $60.00 on powder coating these rims,and $40.00 on tire mounting.I'm happy I don't have to replace the rims, or buy a big hammer HA! Rocket that WD40 trick sounds good, I'll give it a try. Thanks again to all of you guys for your help/tips. I'M OFF TO THE SHOP BOYZ!!!!!

rd400pi

Crash,
   Can you 'splain the powder coated rim thing?  I thought the steel rims were shiny steel, ie: chrome?  I also thought powder coating was a paint application like a silver frame,... Please let me know as I have some wheel work ahead of me with my 2 Six Day bombs(73&74).

Regards,
       Mike Husted (rd400pi)

crash carden

John, what brand of tire was it that you had trouble with it seating properly on your 73? I ask because my tire guy can't get my new cheing shin tires to seat on either rim. He says he has seen this with the cheaper tires, soft sidewall rubber, won't pop out and seat properly. I'm going to buy a better brand of tire, any sugestions on a good tire that is as close to the look of the old metzelers that came on the bike? I'll be riding enduros, cow trailing,& mixed terain.Thanks for your help, Crash.

crash carden

Mike, the powder coating I had done on my rims is called REFLECTO looks like chrome, just not quite as shiny. Yes they spray on the powder coating then its baked on at high temp. very tough stuff. I went for the powder coating because chrome plating was going to cost me $150.00 per rim, powder coating cost me $60.00 for both rims.I would rather had them chromed but the cost was to high, hope this helps you out

john durrill

Crash,
 it was two chein shin tires .
 I dont think its the tire. its probly the little tits that our stock rims come with on the inside that makes that happen. It takes a few tries and some lube but you can get them to pop out. we had to air them up to 80 or 90 psi. several times . keep at it and they will work. we are trying Perilli ( SP is wrong ) MT 16 tires on Dwight recomendation.
 i will let you know this week how long it takes to get them seated. we just got my new rear in and will have it mounted befor Sat.
 We do our own tire changes. its a good thing to learn. you could have to do it on the side of the trail one day. just need 2 good tire irons. do you know someone that can show you how in your area? You can pinch a tube if you have not done it before easy.
John

Rocket

John
I would be very cautious using 80-90 lbs of pressure to seat beads.  I am thinking tire manufactures don't recommend going over 45psi.  Try lots of WD40, I've had great success with it.
Rocket

john durrill

Thanks Rocket,
 i guess because i have done it for years on hundreds of tires i dont think about it. i do have good tubes in them and no spokes poking through the nipples but your probly right.
 when we had the shop i would use the customers tires to practice my 4 min tire change on chuckle chuckle.
 i did get it done if the wheel was off the bike and it was not a dreaded  swedish 6 ply with the heavy bead for rim protection. those could take a long time to change !
 John D.

crash carden

John,so did you like the cheing shin tires? Did they wear well? I really like the look of the cheing shins, looks like the old metzlers. I would just as soon keep these tires as re-ordering another brand, if they are a decent tire.Because it sounds like I'am going to have the same problem with other tire brands if its tits on the rims that are holding back the bead lip from seating. I also feel that the tits are the problem. I will keep trying to get this to work, hopefully they will seat. Thanks again, Crash.

john durrill

They worked OK. I would use the ones you have up. they wear fast. we got them because they came in the right size for the 125 A motor we had in the 73 sixdays.
you would like the MT16 better. check with Dwight to see which one would work best for the engine you have.
 when we converted my engine to a 175 the little tire couldn't handle it . we can spin it up at will in almost any gear.
 The MT 16 's are suppose to wear better and they have a pattern that almost looks like the old Metzlers that came stock on Pentons back then.
 I would go with what ever Dwight recommends.
 He is still running the big events and has a lot of experience with all kinds of equipment.

crash carden

John, thanks for all of your feedback. I have ordered new tires, Pirelli MT 16s 4.00x18 & 3.00x21, if you could,let me know what kind of luck you have getting yours to seat up and seal properly. The shop I got the cheing shins from could not get the tires to seat up,so they said since the tires were brand new they would replace them with whatever tire I wanted. They feel that the cheing shins are defective,and so do I as I took them home after they gave up and spent 2 hours trying to get them to seat properly with no luck. Hopefully we will both have better luck with the Pirelli's. thanks again Crash.