125 Penton for AHRMA

Started by LorenDavis, March 13, 2003, 10:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LorenDavis

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum. I decided I want to try the Classic 125 class in AHRMA. (I'm currently riding a 1973 250 Honda Elsinore.) Back in 1971 my cousin had a 125 Penton that he let me race at Hopetown. I had an absolute ball on that bike and almost won until I fouled a plug. I remember it as a good handling bike with a good powerband.

Since I really don't know a whole lot about the different Penton models I'd appreciate a little direction on what to look for and where to look.

Thanks,

Loren Davis

Steve Minor

Welcome to "Pentonia"...You've come to the right place if you're interested in Pentons. You'll be amazed at the knowledge and friendship you'll find here. Somewhere out there is a Penton with your name on it......we just have to find it.

Good luck
Steve

Steve Minor

mmolyneux

loren
hi i read your post and have a 1971 penton six day 125 that i have owned since 1973 i am looking  for a good 250 elsinore ? post email if interested
thanks
mike

3putt

Mike, I have a son off to MO for a race this weekend.  He has 76 and a 73 honda CR250 he is considering selling, or potential trade.  He has a 72(?) 125 penton he is also considering selling.  Let me know if any interest, and I will pass along to him.  Regards,  Nelson

wnm

LorenDavis

Hi Mike,

My email is: [email protected]

I'm not interested in getting rid of my Elsinore though. I got it brand new in the crate in 1973 and I plan to have it buried with me.  I mean it's been more loyal than any woman in my life. ;>

Cheers,

Loren
//www.sonic.net/ldavis/rams/rams.html

[email protected]

Mike I have a 76 MR Elsinore that's real nice.It is historic legal.I'd love another 125.Frank

mmolyneux

3putt(nelson)
please have your son give me a email at [email protected] as i would be interested in talking to him in regards to the bikes
thank you
mike

tlanders

I resurrected my 1971 steel tank 125 Six Day in 2000 and entered a couple motos with it until a guy on a 1974 "D" engined Six Day ate my lunch in a Missouri Vintage race. I then realised I needed to restore my original Six Day that I bought in 1971 and cherish it forever and buy a CMF six day machine to race the AHRMA 125 classic class.

Teddy

SoCal996

If I'm not mistaken, the "D" motor bikes should be racing in the Sportman class. But be that as it may, Doug Wilford rebuilt my motor ('72 125) and he suggested some changes to the gearing that I can't wait to try at Honey Lake. My bike was geared at 15 X 62 and seemed a little slower than the CZs, but I was having gear box trouble, so can't be real sure. I'll hopefully have a better idea in a couple of weeks when I run a 13 X 60 ratio.

In the novice class the bike is much less of a factor than rider (this is likely true in all the classes). I've found my inability to pass riders is the biggest hurdle to overcome not the speed of my bike.

Regardless, it's great fun and Pentons are one of the cooler bikes on the starting line.

Brian

tlanders

The rules say "Pentons with Sachs engines", it doesn't say what kind other than they need to be 125cc. Then later on it says "Any motorcycles powered by Sachs 125/5A, 6A, 125/5B, 6B". I believe they mean any "other" motorcycle. The Pentons were listed first with no restrictions. Am I wrong? See rules below. Teddy

11.1.4 CLASSIC 125: 125cc two-strokes and four-strokes up to 150cc, manufactured through December 1971 and any like machines. Eligible machines include:

American Eagle Tyran 125 (Sachs)

Ancilotti, Sachs or Morini powered

Bultaco, up to Sherpa S 125

Carabela

CZ, '71-73

DKW

Harley-Davidson 100 and 125

Hodaka, all 100s and 125s (except as noted below)

Honda CB/CL/SL up to 150cc

Honda XL100K1

Husqvarna, '72-74

KTM, '71-72 Sachs engine

Maico, '72-74 square barrel only

Monark, '71-74

Montesa Cappra

Pentons with Sachs engine

Puch, all

Rickman Zundapp, all

Rupp 125 with Sachs motor

Sachs, all

Suzuki TS100/125

Wassell, all Sachs-powered

Yamaha AT1

Any motorcycles powered by Sachs engines 125/5A or 6A, 125/5B or 6B

SoCal996

Guess it depends on how one reads it. Don't know what the Tech guys would say.

Brian

lobo6y

Brian, POGers,
I can help here.  All 125 Pentons with ANY  model 125 Sachs engine are legal in the Classic 125 Class, including the highly sought after D model.  Monarchs with that engine are legal, as well.

See you at  Honey Lake - (if you haven't been there yet, gear it to climb a long, sandy hill at ~4000" altitude).
Cheers,
Dave Janiec
AHRMA West MX Tech Chief, Trustee

john durrill

Dave,
 do that count my 175 Six-Days? it says sachs 1251/5A
on the engine cases. * GRIN* would that make it a classic class bike?
John D.

rd400pi

John Durrill,
  Just read about your "Works" 125/175 in the latest "Still...Keeping Track".  Awesome job and great article!  

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

tlanders

Dave Janiec,

When this post came up, I wanted to call you and ask you what the scoop was before I put my foot in my mouth but didn't know what your number was. Could you email me your phone number? Thanks, Teddy, [email protected]