Side Covers

Started by tmc3c, March 20, 2003, 06:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Thanks for the support, I will proceed with making the mould first, then a few re-pops, Tom...I need three weeks, stay tuned.....

Thomas Brosius

chris p.

at 35 a pop count me in

tmc3c

Hey Tom, will the panel have the indention spot for the mc5 sticker? I would perfer mine without if it is no trouble.This get's into a spot for me not knowing if the GS model came with the laydown shocks,I have been trying to stay as close to original as I can.This is why I went with the laydown's in the first place.If it has the spot oh well,I am still in for the panel,Before long we all can just start coming to you for our fiberglass need's!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

DKWRACER

Lets digress for a moment, I have 76 MC5 panels in sets, here is a link to view the covers...http://home.attbi.com/~ronnfranks/
Check the For Sale area....In my understanding, the GS covers were larger covering the whole M-zoke reservoir and the upper mounting bolt...the later cover (MC5) is differnet in shape with deeper cutouts where the reservoir is etc....allowing removal of the shock without removing the panel. My 76/77 MC5 panels are the smaller version which does not cover the reservoir completely, you can also take a file and remove some of the lip that hits the fins of the reservoir etc....giving better clearance, Is this the cover previously mentioned as needing? I don't want to go to the trouble of laying out another panel when I have 76/77 MC5 panels......In 75, Penton did make a radical change to the frames, had multiple holes along the swingarm for the upright position, but was also able to run shocks in the laid down position, if you wanted to run in laid down, then a different panel was avail. (old style fiberglass airbox), that panel I have, but no re-pops
 so am I missing something??? Tom....

Thomas Brosius

Jdbglover

Tom,

Please look at the the side panel, I was hoping that you were going to reproduce in fiberglass.  Is this panel you were going to repo?

http://web.tiscali.it/no-redirect-tiscali/ktm70pages/Ktm%20360%20gs%20Alberto%20sx.jpg

thanks

John

DKWRACER

Tried to view but got a permissions error etc....can you cut and paste the photo and attach as an email to me???
[email protected]

Thomas Brosius

chris p.

i think the panel ime looking for was described by  metalfabs post on 3/20 with the obivious triangle with the oval moved down and foward  sounded pretty hard to come by  may be others would work ?  i havent a clue what goes on the right side mine has been missing for a long time   1976 125 ktm motor

DKWRACER

Pay attention to the airbox....me thinks in 76 they went to the aluminum airbox with sidepanel tabs in three areas. this dictates which side panel will fit...mine are three mounting holes, with the slanted rectangular indentation for the MC5 decals, GS is a different story, but still holding to three mounting tabs, a true 76 has a different frame from a 75, easily identified by the upper rear frame members with "holey gussets" under the seat and at the top of the rear shock mount, MAN would'nt it be nice to see pics of model years of our bikes in vivid color somewhere on our website, guess we are not done yet .....Tom.....

Thomas Brosius

tmc3c

Tom,according to all I have read the frame I have is a 76,it has flat tubes where the top of the shock bolts up and my air box is fiberglass,it also has bolt holes for upright shocks and has several settings on the swingarm.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

I may be wrong here but I am thinking in 76 the oval tube frames were still being sold and the newer style MC5 framed bikes were being sold also.  Blue_Dog just bought a 76 with an oval tube frame with KTM stickers on the tank, must have been a western Penton.
Rocket

tmc3c

Hey Rocket, I guess the right way to say what kind of frame I have is oval tubed also and not flat like i said, Man there is so many different frames and also I have found that the tank color's differ too.What IS THE CORRECT COLOR OF MY 76 GS 250? I have a red tank that the guy gave me when I bought the bike but I always thought the 100cc was red.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Tom
If you have an oval tube frame,(available mid 74 through 76) with 2 shock mounting holes on the frame and approximately 5 on the swingarm, your tank can be red, or orange.  The GS6 frames, I believe, all had orange tanks, unless you lived out west, they could possibly be blue and maybe white.
The GS6 frame was similar to the MC5 frame, except it was a frame breather and had a rear frame loop.  Were all MC5's orange?
Rocket

tmc3c

Wow let's see Red,Orange,Blue,White! I always thought red=100cc blue=175 white=400cc and Orange is new to me.What is the correct color for number plates?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

DKWRACER

Yipes what a lotta Penton Panel Plethora.... In reviewing what I am hearing, we need the LH panel for fiberglass airbox equipped models up to 76..as earlier frames sold well into 76, the panel I can repo is basically just like the early 70's but with a special cutout for the laid down position rear shocks, oval area is pushed down below the bottom mounting screw with a semi c-shaped area for the shock, Correct?????
Tom...

Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

Yes, Tom, that's the one I'm looking for.

I have scanned a Penton brochure for the '75 models that shows it beautifully, if you want me to e-mail it to you.  It's a BIG file, however.

Glenn