Side Covers

Started by tmc3c, March 20, 2003, 06:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

When Running the piggyback shock's in the lay down position the side cover's need to be notched out,with that being said is there a pair of side cover's already made or is this a custom job for my 76 250gs ?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

metalkfab

On the first lay down frames the air box covers were formed to go over the shock,KTM later developed a cover with the oval area moved down and forward to allow shock clearance.Good luck trying to find that style. Oh,They were made from a plastic that broke real easy.

tmc3c

Meta1kfab, What do you think of this idea,take the airbox out and run a K&N filter for that lightweight look! HaHa! Was this the only option that was ordered from the factory,the plastic panels?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

chris p.

i have the same problem on my 76 125 ive seen picts. of the notched out panels. question, can you flip the shocks over and be any better off ??

tmc3c

Hi Chris, I have heard of standing the shock in the upright poition but I think that this defeats the idea of the piggyback,plus it just wouldn't look right to me.I was told this because I am running leading axle forks and he said that it wouldn't corner well in tight woods.I am running the resivior in the down position with the reservior facing the rear but with using the forward top mount this is the problem child.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

metalkfab

Mounting the shocks w/reservoir at the frame supposedly reduced the unsprung weight on the rear wheel which would allow it to track better.As for a sock on the carb,I bought a 175 that came that way,just rode around the mudholes.The plastic covers are hard to come by,they always broke at the front edge,your boot would catch the edge when starting the bike.

tmc3c

So is the hot set up for tight woods resivior up? side plates will have to be cut even more right? I haven't bought cover's,I guess it would be easy to see if I bought them.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

DKWRACER

This topic about the specialized cover for the laid down position side cover has come up before, I have a pristine LH cover which can be reproduced, in order to to so I would need a commitment from our membership. In order to start this process ,I am willing to partake making moulds and producing repos. But I do have to pay for the moulds etc... so how many can I count on, I don't know, there is some risk involved.....

Thomas Brosius

Rocket

DKWracer
Depending on the cost, I could use two maybe three.
thanks
Rocket

tmc3c

Tom,I could use a set also.This is one reason I have held off buying the other set we have talked about. It would have been costly to cutting on the fiberglass pair if I measured wrong! Now wasn't that Tony Stewart ad saying measure twice cut once!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

DKWRACER

In order to make a run of the LH panel , I would need commitments for 6, so now there are 3 etc....

Thomas Brosius

chris p.

i would be interested in side panel, would you have any type of ball park cost in mind??

DKWRACER

I figure at best ea. panel would be $35 and in Grey gellcoat only to keep the costs down....Tom...

Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

You can count on me for one.

Thanks.

Glenn

Jdbglover

Please, put me down for a sidecover.

Thanks
John