Finish Coating An aluminum Swingarm

Started by tofriedel, April 05, 2003, 01:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tofriedel

I have just stripped all of the paint & primer from my aluminum swingarm (1981 KTM)to refinish the surface.

I am now having second thoughts about repainting & just polish & coat with a clear finish.

Anyone have any opinions (good or bad) about the best way to finish my swingarm?

Thanks

Tony

frank the welder

Hi!, If you have someone close by who does vibratory finishing that may be a good choice. Also ball burnishing. Both processes help reduce stress risers (potential failure areas) and add strength. It looks like a cheezy polishing job, sorta "scratchy" but shiny. You can coat with a clear engine paint for corosion and chemical protection.

Gavin Housh

Anodizing is another option. It can be done in a variety of colors including clear, and goes on (actualy grows out of the aluminum in a extremley thin layer) over any sufrace from bead blasted to highly polished. I like the black over high polish. The nice thing is that it won't oxidize and need polishing again. The layer that grows on the surface of the aluminum is aluminum oxide.

tlanders

Is the aluminum swing arm superior to the '78 steel one? If so is it simply because of weight or is it stiffer, longer/shorter, etc.? I have a '79 al swingarm and am wondering if I should put it on my '78. Will it fit? Teddy