1973 Penton Jackpiner

Started by Dwight Rudder, April 26, 2003, 03:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

I have a Jacpiner that I will be restoring here shortly. I may ride it at Dalton.
 This one has the metal heat shield. Is this correct or should it have the fiberglass heat shield and number plate similar to the 250 and the 1974 model bikes ?  I noticed in the Dalton "BIBLE" that the ISDT bikes that year used the fiberglass heat shield.
Are there any piston kits available for this bike ?  I should pull it down and check clearances. I know if it gets sloppy it will break piston. How much clearance is too much on the black engine 175cc ?
This bike as a like new MX tank I have a couple of the slab side enduro tanks I will try and restore. Unless someone has a VERY nice Enduro tank and wants a VERY nice MX tank.
This bike also has the plastic fenders. I will be replacing them as they are broken. I know what goes on front but what is correct of the back ?  The long Enduro fender like the 1974 bikes or the MX short fender with a flap tail light ?  I noticed in the Dalton "Bible" that the ISDT bikes used the long Enduro fender and tail light.
It needs new handlebars if I can't find any original Magura style bars , I will put on a set of the high chrome crossbarless type that was popular with the Penton Team .
I also noticed that this bike has a clamp around the silencer shroud instead of a welded on bracket. I thought I remembered my 1972 Jackpiner having a welded on bracket similar to the 125 pipe. I thought when I bought the bike that the owner had made this to replace the broken original bracket. BUT , I see in the Dalton book that the ISDT bikes had this type bracket ?
Any input will be appreciated.
Cher'o

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Lew Mayer

Dwight,
I can't answer all of your questions but I can say that on my Jackpiner which I've had since new, it has the slotted metal guard on the pipe. Now I thought mine was a 73 because it's a high breather with the small rear brake, but my title says it is a 74,so it may be a late 73, that they titled as 74. The fenders I changed long ago to Petty Mudder front and Enduro rear with light. I was an enduro guy back then. Hope this helps a little.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

Doug Wilford

Dwight take your "Dalton Bible" to Dalton.  None of the factory 100-125s-or-175s At the 73 ISDT Pentons had the fiberglass heat shield.  If you have .004 piston clearance with the old piston, you can get a new piston and just take the glaze off the cyl.  It you have .006-.008 it may be smart to rebore and fit to .0025 to .003

Rocket

Dwight
I had a new 73 and this is what mine came with.  Metal heat shield on right side with slots, not holes, plastic fenders that were very breakable.  Al Buehner still has the rears forsale.  My pipe had the clamp on bracket, happen to still have the bracket, pipe got bent and cut off big end and installed a small silencer.
I have a 75 style Jackpiner tank that is in pretty good condition if you would be interested in that.  It is the newer style.
Rocket

Larry Perkins

I believe Rod has it right.  Brittle Falk fenders like the 74, metal heatshield with slots, bracket for pipe mount, and an enduro would have a toaster tank in 73. Pistons for the pre-76 Jackpiners are getting real scarce depending on which one you need.  

Dwight, at Dalton I think they used Premium gas.  So if I get to go this year I am going to check your gas and there better not be any unleaded in the tank.  Ha Ha just a Vintage joke.

Hey, Rod if you did not sell that Berkshire tank I would be interested.  Let me know.

Dwight Rudder

Thanks Rocket for the tank offer but I have a pair of slab sided tanks, but the are not as nice as the MX tank I will be replacing.  I guess I better be looking for a Slotted heat shield. This one is the earlier style big hole model. I noticed that in one of the photos in the Dalton book that what appears to be a Jackpiner with a 250 style heat sheild. BUT Doug says that they didn't use them on the 175s.  This bike also has the 32mm forks not the 35mm. Thanks for the info everyone !  
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Lew Mayer

Dwight,
 Check with Al Buehner. He has stainless repro heatshields unless you want original.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dwight Rudder

What would be the correct Head lamp ?  This one has the Large one or should I put on the small bullet H/L ?  Also when did Pentons switch from the front number plate mount on the forks to the one on the H/L ?  I believe I have all 3 types of H/L. Small bullet, Large , and Large with Number plate.
Cher'o

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

john durrill

Dwight,
 my 73 six-Days came with the large head light, the front # plate was gone. Itmust have been the one that clamps to the forks. Mine was built in march of 73. The 175's we sold in 73 had the slots in the heat shield. I think Al showes those in his parts catalog.
I believe that the 32 mm forks are right. i dont think they change to 35's till late 73 or 74.
John D.

Dwight Rudder

Thanks, John, Now if Al would only put his parts catalog online.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Lew Mayer

Dwight,
 If I recall correctly, my 73(or74?)came with the large headlight but it didn't fit right on the 32 mm forks. At the time I thought it seemed pretty poor. Maybe the large headlight was made to fit the 35's.That's why I changed to the Petty headlight number plate per the article in Keeping Track on swing weight.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer