New Chain Length?

Started by crash carden, May 03, 2003, 01:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash carden

Hello, I am puting a new chain on my Jackpiner. I counted the # of links in the old chain,105.So should I make the new chain 105 links also? You know the old rule measure twice, cut once! Or in my case ask twice, break once! Thanks for any help, Crash Carden.

john durrill

crash,
 we always slide the axle all the way forward
 wrap the chain around the sprockets and mark it. then we have the exact length for the sprocket combo we are running.
John

Randy Kirkbride

Crash,
I just checked the Jackpiner that I just bought about a month ago. It has 12-55 gearing and the chain was 108 links. Hope that helps.
Randy

Mark Annan

When counting links of a chain count EVERY PIN, not the "links".  If you order 105 links it will be a very short chain!   With the sprockets you will be using slide the axel/wheel assembly all the way forward, mark the chain, then slide it all the way to the rear, and mark it again.  Break the chain so that the length falls to a convenient length between the two marks.

Mark Annan

When counting links of a chain count EVERY PIN, not the "links".  If you order 105 links it will be a very short chain!   With the sprockets you will be using slide the axel/wheel assembly all the way forward, mark the chain, then slide it all the way to the rear, and mark it again.  Break the chain so that the length falls to a convenient length between the two marks.