Tire changing tools

Started by Steve Minor, May 05, 2003, 02:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

What's the easiest way to mount tires these days? Any "new and improved" tools that aren't as likely to pinch the tubes like the old ones I remember? ...straight spoons, curved spoons....?

Or is it just easier to take them to the bike shop and have them mounted?

Edited by - steve minor on 05/05/2003  3:21:09 PM
Steve Minor

Mick Milakovic

I'm still using the old method of tire irons, but I did make my own out of some 1/4" hardened steel at work.  They're about 16" long and offer great leverage.  Has anyone used any of the "tire stands" I've seen advertised?  They look a lot better than bending over on the garage floor!

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Rocket

Buy the longest M/C tire irons available, probably 14" long and use lots of WD40 for the lubricant.
Rocket

tomale

soapy water in a cheap spray bottle works good too. In addition to nice long tire irons I keep a rubber hammer near by. When I get down to that last little bit and I can not get a tire iron in all that easy. I give it a few love taps with the rubber hammer. The other thing that I learned from watching the pros is that they put the stem in first before mounting the first side of the tire. once that is in place they slip the first side in and then place the tube inside the tire. And then mount the other side of the tire. This will help with not having to get your fingers wedged in the tire as you swear under your breath to get that silly stem in the hole and straight. Hope this is of some help.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

don howard

Hi all. I use a 15 inch auto wheel up  side down with rubber hose split in half. i drilled holes put tie wraps to hold the hose. mount it on a good solid bench w/ bolt to hold it. single long center bolt hold the wheel works for me.  don howard

Larry Perkins

I have a rather unique way of changing tires.  I go a block down the street and pay the motorcycle shop to put them on with their cool tire changing machine.  Even when I worked at a motorcycle shop I would pay someone else to change tires for me.  I guess that is why I never went the ISDT route.  When I did it with whatever tire irons it always ended with a tire iron being thrown and really foul words being screamed.  I'm a wuss.

Mick Milakovic

I'm still using the old method of tire irons, but I did make my own out of some 1/4" hardened steel at work.  They're about 16" long and offer great leverage.  Has anyone used any of the "tire stands" I've seen advertised?  They look a lot better than bending over on the garage floor!

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Rocket

Buy the longest M/C tire irons available, probably 14" long and use lots of WD40 for the lubricant.
Rocket

tomale

soapy water in a cheap spray bottle works good too. In addition to nice long tire irons I keep a rubber hammer near by. When I get down to that last little bit and I can not get a tire iron in all that easy. I give it a few love taps with the rubber hammer. The other thing that I learned from watching the pros is that they put the stem in first before mounting the first side of the tire. once that is in place they slip the first side in and then place the tube inside the tire. And then mount the other side of the tire. This will help with not having to get your fingers wedged in the tire as you swear under your breath to get that silly stem in the hole and straight. Hope this is of some help.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

don howard

Hi all. I use a 15 inch auto wheel up  side down with rubber hose split in half. i drilled holes put tie wraps to hold the hose. mount it on a good solid bench w/ bolt to hold it. single long center bolt hold the wheel works for me.  don howard

Larry Perkins

I have a rather unique way of changing tires.  I go a block down the street and pay the motorcycle shop to put them on with their cool tire changing machine.  Even when I worked at a motorcycle shop I would pay someone else to change tires for me.  I guess that is why I never went the ISDT route.  When I did it with whatever tire irons it always ended with a tire iron being thrown and really foul words being screamed.  I'm a wuss.