fork spring question

Started by tomale, May 19, 2003, 10:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I bought a new set of fork springs. when they came It was clear that they were not the same size. The new ones were 3 3/4 inches shorter. I was told that this was not a problem and that all I need to do add a appropriate size spacer. any ideas. It seems abit much. I wonder if I will end up losing some travel on my marzokes. I am not sure of this but it is a thought and wonder if anyone has some some of knowledge of such a change from one length springs to a shorter set.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Paul Danik

I am not sure if this will apply to your specific problem, but I used to use valve springs from a Ford cylinder head to add preload as needed to fork springs. Chevy springs might work, but with how they were always braking down, I didn't want to take the chance, HAHA!!!!  PVC pipe can also be used, just be sure to use a washer between the spring and the pipe.

tomale

Paul, thanks for the input I had never thought of using valve springs to make up the difference. I quess that if I use valve springs I will not need to worry about bottoming out the spring before bottoming out the suspension. I have always been able to get just what fit my bike and to have to use something that does not quite fit my bikes rubs me the wrong way. know what I mean?

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

metalkfab

My Chevy with a v-6 has over 300,000 miles and it still hauls everything.Maybe I should check under the hood for FORD springs!