shifters

Started by tim bowers, May 29, 2003, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim bowers

My 77 400 is now alive and kicking but I
have a problem shifting it in and out of gears. The shifter is only about 4" long
and it seems the distance from the footpeg
position (low) is too far for my foot to
reach without having to lift my leg up to shift. With the foot peg in the high position
there is not much room for a boot.This is really a hinderance on the starts as I feel there is way too much focus on trying to get the bike into the next gear then there is to
getting it to the first turn. Is there a fix
for this? I guess I am just used to the feel
of the Japanese bike shifters.
Any help would be appreciated
Tim

ksithumper

Tim, there are at least three lengths and types of shifter - they all look pretty much the same until you compare them side by side. The shortest one is next to useless for people with real size feet. Guess how I know...

rob w

Tim, I'll send you a shifter to try, it's 5 7/8" long, center of shift shaft to center of lever end. That's a inch longer than the one I use. It's an original w/folding tip in excellent condition other than the chrome peeling off. If it helps, it's yours. Give me an address and I'll get it to you.
You've got a great bike there, that's the first time I've seen a 77 400 MC5 run.
See ya, Bob

Mike Lenz

There were two shifter leanths in the mid to late seventies. You need the long one for running your foot pegs in the lower position as does anyone with a 78 or later. Alan Buehner had the short ones remade. I have a couple of the long ones if anyone needs one.

tim bowers

Rob W thanks for the shifter, I 'll call you later. It looks like the ticket!!!