Penton Logo Engine Cases?

Started by JIMATL, June 06, 2003, 08:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMATL

I've come across a 1970 Penton 125 with "Penton" on the engine cases? Been looking for a 19783-ish 125 - this one looks intersting. Any input on the 1970 125? Did Penton make their own engines or caes, or was this just an early, private-labeld Sachs? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Larry Perkins

I think that motor is later than 1970 or maybe the sidecases were from a later Sachs.  There was a period of time that Penton ground off the Sachs logo on the sidecases and put the Metal stick on Penton badge over the old spot.  This stems from a tiff between John and Sachs over changes John wanted and Sachs didn't want to bother with.  But I believe that was around 74.  Doug, Paul, or others will be able to confirm the time frame.

BrianTaylor

Oh somebody fill in the details , WHY , what changes , who  , I want to here this entire story.... I have wondered about my bike with the ground  off SACHS label....mine is 74.... waiting eagerly  Brian T

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

TGTech

While I can't supply all the info on the reason that we chiseled the "Sachs" off the engine cases, I do know one of the disagreements and it actually came way back in 1970.

When John first took the Motoplat ignition to KTM and then Sachs to get them to put them on the engines, Sachs refused, saying that the system was just a novelty and wouldn't work. But since John knew that it would be better than having breaker points in an off road machine, he insisted. At that point, the engines destined to be installed in the Pentons, were shipped to KTM without ignitions, and then the Motoplats were installed at KTM.

I think that there was another reason that the engine badges were installed on some of the engines, and that was when we made the 152 engines. Since those engines were creations of the Penton organization, it was thought that there should be some identification of those engines as being Penton exclusives.

The time frame for all this, would have to be in 1970 I think, because I can remember doing these engines way back when the cylinders were still cast iron.

Dane