Back in the saddle again!

Started by Monty, June 09, 2003, 12:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monty

Pentonites,

I am back to the basics, and beginning (again) my restoration project. If anyone out there has parts or suggestions in restoring my 1978 KTM MC 400...PLEAZ do not hessitate to give it up! I am very eager now to get this project up and running. My carb parts are on the way (had to order them from New York. A place called Fast By Gast), and I should have that put together by the end of the week. Bu I am in need of such things like: rear fender (with tail light), front head lamp, front number plate, side plates, tank decals (KTM w/red "C"), chain guard, motor manual, parts booklet, seat recovered, frame powder coated, and anything else you guys can think of.

Pour it on!!!

Steve Minor

Cool Graphics....I got a 78 MC5 parts book from Al Buehner (216)651-6559 and I had a seat recovered by Rick Ticknor (He advertises on eBay)...How accurate are you going to be in your restoration? I ask because I don't believe the MC5 came with lighting capabilities....so you might have to change out the motoplat system....I'm sure someone out there can be more help than I....good luck.

Happy Trails

Edited by - steve minor on 06/09/2003  3:22:00 PM
Steve Minor

DKWRACER

I have LH and RH side panels in grey fiberglass gellcoat, ready to be prepped and painted....$75 a set to your door, can send JPEGS (email)
[email protected]

Thomas Brosius

Monty

Steve- I am trying to be as accurate as possible, but I think that this bike may have originally been an enduro version (maybe GS instead of MC). Anyway, I want to be able to take it out on the street, just back and forth to work some days (5 minutes each way).

Either way, the bikes are practically the same, and if you have any suggestions, please pour them on!

Steve Minor

Monty......You need to start with a manual, or manuals if you don't already have them. Al Buehner can help you out there. Then I suggest you look at the parts book and take an inventory of the parts you have and the parts you need. Al Buehner and Larry Perkins are most helpful for getting parts. Take a look at the website I've included and you'll be able to find pictures of the GS and MC models. These suggestions will get you started.

http://web.tiscali.it/ktm70pages/

Happy Trails
Steve

Steve Minor

Monty

I took a look, and noticed the only thing that stands out between the two (besides the lighting) is the front forks. On the GS model they are stainless, and on the MC they are painted. Mine are also painted, but the only way I can ride it, legaly, is to add lighting. I don't think that this bike was at all kept in any kind of original condition, when it was given to me it actually had PENTON Decals. The guy said that they were always there, but he didn't have the title to prove it. So it will be KTM for me.

-Chris