Road Race Report 6-21 and 22-03

Started by Dave H., June 24, 2003, 09:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

I don't like to race in the rain but my Penton Sachs 5 speed kicked butt against a field of over 20 Honda 160 twins! 125cc's  of pure Penton Racer leapt from the starting line, and the only distraction after the first corner I had was the nagging thought..."where is everybody?" as I led 4 of the 5 laps on the saturated asphalt. As I left the "bus stop" for the 5th and final lap and stretched to reach the checkered flag the wheel of Mike Bateman's Honda entered my peripheral vision and then he inched past me...my throttle pinned, nothing left to give...I ended with a second place finish.
The secret to racing on wet asphalt is... go as fast as you dare. If you don't slide, go faster. If you crash, go slower. Did I mention I don't like to race in the rain?
Live life on the edge...anything more is taking up too much room.
Weekend race tally...
Saturday heat 1: 5th place on dry track
Saturday heat 2: 2nd place in pouring rain
Sunday heat 1: 4th place dry track
Sunday heat 2: 3rd place on damp track
note: these results are not official until posted by wmrra.com

tmc3c

Dave, Great job! I guess you don't see many Penton's on the track,I too had a race flat tracking where a Yamaha and myself finished across the finish line side up and I always told myself if it ever happened again I would reach my hand across my handlebars so I would be the winner, Ha, Some of the good ole times!! Keep doing good, Keep us Pentonites looking good!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler