75 Jackpiner is Alive!

Started by AndyL, June 26, 2003, 09:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyL

Thanks to some help from Randy Kirkbride, who loaned me a proper Bing, over the weekend I got my Jackpiner to run.

I found several problems such as wiring, timing, and a bad seal, but it is now running.  Late last night after correcting everything I found wrong, it fired up on the second kick (without a pipe, so I only let it catch for a second then shut it off)

Now I have to figure where the gas tank is leaking from and repair it (probably use a tank sealer product with out using the MEK prep) and see if the transmission shifts ok and I should be ready to ride.

The shifter seemed a bit stiff but it is tough to tell with the bike on a stand, no chain and half assembled and seeing as how I have never ridden a Penton/KTM and dont know the shift haracteristics of the bike.

Randy, I will be packing up your Bing later this week and shipping it back to you. I now have the Mikuni set up properly (and cleaned out).

Thanks again

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Randy Kirkbride

Andy, I'm glad I could help. You'll have to let that Hodie set when you get the Jackpiner finished up.

tlanders

Andy,

The tank is fiberglass and most of the leaks are where the petcocks or the gas cap neck are inserted. I have ground out arond them with a dremel and then filled the groove back up again with fiberglass resin, no glass. If the side is cracked, use fiberglass and resin to patch it.

Teddy

AndyL

Teddy,
I dont think it is leaking at the cap or the petcocks.  I didnt spend alot of time looking but I think it is from the front underside of the tank.

I know the tank is glass, but I thought I read in a few old posts about a product from Casswell Plating that the Bultaco guys used to coat the inside of glass tanks to save them?  Something called PHENOL NOVOLAC EPOXY GAS TANK SEALER.

I will try to fix the leak with resin if it is small or just a crack, maybe add some glass if it is larger, but it has been a long time since I messed with fiberglass repair.

I cant make it this weekend, so, good luck down in Thayer this Sunday!

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

AndyL

Spent some time trying to find the leak on the gas tank.  Finally found where it is coming from.

With the tank sitting on the bench, with the front of the tank facing me, the gas is coming out of the edge of the tank, where the side of the tank and the underside (tunnel) meet.  If I dry the tank out and look closely at the edge, you can see a separation between the layers of fiberglass.

Not sure what I am going to do to try and fix it.  Might have to try to use a sealer from the inside, or file the edge back about a half inch and try to rebuild it.

Other than the leak from the tank, I need to set up the Mikuni better, get a new throttle cable and front brake cable, and figure out why it wont shift.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA