STUCK BACKING PLATE

Started by Randy Kirkbride, July 10, 2003, 08:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Kirkbride

Anyone ever have a backing plate stuck in the front hub?  I'm going to lace up a new wheel on one of my projects & the backing plate is stuck in the hub. I've tried WD40 and leaving oil soak on the sleeve but it's still tight.  Any suggestions?

imported_n/a

Randy, I have one in the same condition and was going to ask the question.

Help.

Glenn

metalkfab

I had the same problem.Used (2) flat blade screwdrivers between the hub and backing plate,180 deg.opposite each other and slowly walked the backing plate off the hub.Work the screwdrivers around the sealing area as you go.Too much digging can gouge the hub or maybe catch the steel liner and damage can occur.Good Luck.

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Karl,
I tried the screwdriver trick but it was a no-go. This booger is really stuck!  I thought I'd let it soak a few days.  I didn't realize this was such a common problem.

Steve Minor

Have you tried shooting it with PB Blaster? It's pretty good stuff. Try using some, tap around with a rubber mallet and let it soak in for a while. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Edited by - steve minor on 07/10/2003  10:15:48 AM
Steve Minor

imported_n/a

Steve,

What is PB Blaster?

Glenn

Dennis D

I've had some luck freeing up stuck slides on carbs using my heat gun. No flame to worry about and plenty of heat. May work on the backing plate to? Dennis

OUCWBOY

Guys,
What causes this to happen is the brake pads swelling due to moisture. The head gun works to ensure the pads are completely dry. Most of the time the pad have broken away and get stuck. After you ensure the pads are dry, the only other thing is to force them appart using (like Karl said) leverage.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Steve Minor

Glenn.....PB Blaster is a penetrating oil available at most automotive parts stores. It's sort of a brown-milky foam and is the best stuff for rusty stuck bolts (and piston/cylinders) I've ever used. It's much better than "liquid wrench" (in my opinion).

Steve Minor

imported_n/a

Thanks, guys.

My backing plate will rotate just fine, it's stuck on the inner axle, which is a steel to magnesium "fusion."  I'll try the PB Blaster as well as the dual screwdrivers and see what happens.

Glenn

Randy Kirkbride

I think mine is stuck both places. I can't rotate the backing plate on the axle sleeve, but also I can't move the brake arm either. Sounds like maybe I should try a heat gun to dry everything out and also soak the sleeve with PB Blaster.  Thanks all.

rob w

Take the outside nut and spacer off of the opposite side of the wheel, smack the expose "inner bearing spacer tube" with a large plastic composite hammer, or a chunk of oak and regular hammer, sometimes the backing plate just flies off, otherwise sometimes it comes out with the inner tube and wheel bearing. I did it once today, and several other times before.

Randy Kirkbride

HI ROB,
Man, you are my hero.  The backing plate is now off.  It came off with the axle sleeve & the bearing.  I had to beat the crap out of it and also take the brake arm & the nut off the pivot bolt.  The brake shoes are still seized in the hub but at least I can now see them.  Thanks everyone for all the help.

rob w

Randy,
Never saw one with the shoes stuck that bad.

Hope you can bring your remake items to VMD. I would like to purchase one of each style of your seat stencils. Thanks a ton!
Bob.

Randy Kirkbride

Rob,
I'll have all my supplies with me at VMD. I'll be around all 3 days.  Looking forward to see everyone.