Rear brake plate question

Started by Steve Minor, July 10, 2003, 11:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

On my 77 gs6, how tight should the rear brake anchor plate fit to the hub?. Mine seems quite loose and could fill with water/mud quite easily. I noticed it when I replaced the rear bearings recently. I've driven the bearings in all the way to their seats. I never really noticed it before but the gap between the anchor plate and hub seems too big?

Any ideas?

Edited by - steve minor on 07/10/2003  11:55:10 AM
Steve Minor

rob w

Steve,
This is all I know. The RH bearing is pressed in far enough to get the circlip in the groove, maybe a tad more, like the thickness of your fingernail.
On the inside of the brake plate, at the axle hole, there's a steel ring press on around the magnesium casting. The steel ring should be flush with the casting.
The steel ring therefore rides on the inner bearing race in the hub.
When assembled, the outside edge of the brake plate (the point of it's largest dia.)should be at the same depth as the sprocket.(I use 520 width sprockets)
If it was further in the rear sprocket bolt heads would hit on the anchor flange of the brake plate. (I see some of those with deep grooves there because they put too thick of washers on the sprocket screws).
Yes, there will be a opening were water and mud can get in. I pretty sure that's right.
Hope this helps.
Bob

Steve Minor

It sure does help Bob....I checked everything you mentioned and...(1) the RH bearing is under the circlip and (2) the LH bearing is flush with the hub. That's the best I can do....It's probably fine, it just seemed to be opened too much.

Thanks

Steve Minor

hrbay

Steve, I recall some bikes with form-a-gasket around their brake hubs in wet rides, may be a neater way though. The 78 GS hub used a rubber flange around the back plate on the front but don't remember the rear. GC

GC
GC

metalkfab

Hi-Point offered rubber sealing rings that you glued to the backing plate that sealed the gap.Great idea as long as you cleaned your hubs quite often.They have a tendency to trap the dirt inside your brakes after a mud ride or high-pressure hose cleaning.They also wear grooves into your hub just below your spokes.

Mike Lenz

I have seen some backing plates bend out on top a little. Is the gap the same on the bottom?