Marzocchi shocks

Started by tmc3c, July 16, 2003, 08:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Well the old thorn is still jabbing me in the side,since I got my shocks back from Texas, I installed them with the resivior up and I looked down a couple of days later there is a oil spot under each shock,what do ya'll think ?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

They were recently rebuilt by B. Lucas...right? I'd call him and talk it over before I did anything....He takes pride in his workmanship and I'm sure if that's the problem, he'll make it good.

Edited by - steve minor on 07/16/2003  09:19:29 AM
Steve Minor

Blue_Dog

The reservior on my Marzocchi's is mounted at the bottom (swing arm) . Upside down or rightside up shouldnt matter if the seal's are seated. If they are leaking around the rod maybe you need to give them a brake-in ride or two just to insure proper seating
of the seal.?
Good luck,
B-D

tmc3c

Yes,Steve they did come from Bobby and while I am sure he does good work I don't want to send them back to Texas,with that being said do ya'll think that the seal's need seating and if so do I need to replace the oil that leaked out or just ride on ? I mounted the shock with the resivior up because of the forks being leading axle marzocchi's and this was suppose to help the turning.I got this idea from POG!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

Thomas....how much ride time do you have on the rebuild? It could very well be that the seals need to seat. How much oil has leaked? A puddle or just a damp spot?

Steve Minor

tmc3c

Steve, I am still in the rebuild stage, 0 hours on ride time, and the oil spot was about 6"-8"in dia. and on concrete floor so I don't know how much was asorbed up by the floor.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

I know you'd rather not send them back to Texas and that's understandable....but I'd atleast call Bobby for his input...After all, to quote a line from one of your previous postings..."let me say up front that the guy is a walking encyclopedia on pentons"....

Just my opinion.....

Steve Minor

tmc3c

Steve, I know that that was my quote, but let's just say I am glad I got my shocks back and if I need to pay again for someone else to look at them I will,I starting to feel that I should have went with progressive or works shocks but I wanted to stay as close as I could to original.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

James

Then get em on someone's bike. You have stated that you have some other bikes or vintage riders of pentons around you...
Yes you would want to repalce the oil (from what you described on the floor.) I would ride a few laps with them first.
 I put mine on the bike and rode it the next day. I had blown every other set of shocks except these(Zokes). Lets see..works(2 sets 2 times). Girling, Koni, Telesco, Boge/ Mullholland, S&W and Yamaha thermos(that's all I can remember).
 I had to put res down in 74/75 chassis as I set the bike up with the shocks laid down and 210mm forks for GP class (now post vintage). James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tomale

Thomas,

I feel your pain... All kidding aside.
That amount of oil on the floor is rather suspect. I would think that if they were a little weepy then a break in period would be warrented. I do not wish to cast doubt on anyones abilities but mistakes do happen from time to time. It sounds like to me that there is either a problem with the seal it self or something happened in the process of it being rebuilt. Seals do need to be broken in but that seems like way too much oil leaking to be cured by a ride or two. I would at the very least call and find out what the guys from Texas says. I would think that they should stand good for it.
Good luck...
Is that the MC5 you bought a few months back? I have been waiting to see how your project went.
Keep us posted
Happy Trails

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Hey Thom, My bike is a 76gs,and I wish I could go into more details on why I won't be calling or using the Texas route,but I don't think that that would be the right thing to do.I am in a complete resto on this bike and after replacing all bearings,tires,powder coating frame & pipe, finding the bottom leg of a leading axle marzocchi fork and having them reworked then sending my shocks to Atlanta for 2 months to have them sent back with them not being able to be repaired, then I tried a local KTM dealer who took them apart, and after buying parts from Larry I sent them to Texas, and after 7 months I got them back and figured I finally had them beat and on to buying the fiberglass side covers, To which I owe Donny a Thank You because I got the pipe side for less than $20.00 on e-bay so back to the story I have sent Kip Kern a e-mail for info on him rebuilding my 1974 motor,and I am taking all the small stuff to work to clean them up.SOOOO that is about it

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Monty

Thomas,

It's good that you kept your comments about Texas to a minimum. Remember what I said I would do if you didn't...? I told ya I would have to come to South Carolina & ride all up and down those pretty green mountains...Heck I might even just buy up some land and move there. You guys need a Good Ole Texas boy out there? It's good to hear that you are making progress on your bike...although it is not going as well as you would like. I am stuck like a dung beatle under dinosaur poop. I am having a hard time rebuilding my carb. The float bowl is shot & the manufacturer no longer makes the same bowl...so what's a guy to do? besides that, everything is off the frame & soon to be powder coated (if I can just get my wife to give me some of my money back).

Talk at ya soon.

john durrill

Monty,
 what model Bing do you have?
 Most of the float bowl's are the same  on the older style Bings.
John D.

tmc3c

Monty, It's good to hear from you, I haven't got to engine and carb yet so keep the horror stories down ,OK!  About you moving here, that would be great cause I know you could buy a big spread on the lake.I can see it now a big track and some trails,aah!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Anybody need a pipe side cover? I got the cover from Donny and it is not for my bike.Looked like it on e-bay but it is a lot larger.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler