Sachs connecting rod I.D.

Started by penton117, July 16, 2003, 10:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penton117

Hi Guys,
I need some help on a Sachs 125B motor. The lower rod bearing has finally given up. Searching through my boxes of junk I found a brand new rod and bearing but the I.D. number is differeant and the rod appears a bit thicker. Looks to be the same length, etc. just a bit heavier-duty. My original rod is part #0617102298 and the one I want to use is #0617103099. Both are brass. Will this different part # work? Thanks in advance for any help the Penton brain-trust can provide.

john durrill

penton 117,
 it might not be a good idea to just replace the pin and needle bearing. the outer race is the rod. usually rods are fitted with a bearing and pin to the rod. they usually are a matched set. the expense of tearing an engine down and truing the crank after the rod kit is replaced is as much as the rod kit. if th rod fails the cost would be very high to replace the parts damaged.
 Jake has NOS B Rod Kits in stock Now if you need one.
 Just my input from the past on overhauls.
 Hope it was some help,
John D.

penton117

John,

Thanks for the input. I may not have made myself clear, but I have a new rod kit. It has the lower bearing, pin, thrust washers, etc. everything you would need to replace the rod. My concern is that the number stamped on the rod itself is different than the original rod. Also, the new rod, as I said is thicker looking. So I want to verify that it is Ok to use.

john durrill

I cant id the rods from my parts book with your #'s.
 the B rod is heavier than the A rod. as long as the rods are the same length center of big end bearing to center of topend bearing holes it should not matter.  A rod pins are shorter buy 2 0r 3 mm in length than the B rod and the B rod has about .030 ground off the bottom of the rod to clear the crankcase. the width of the big end bearing hole and the small end bearing hole are the same on both A and B rods.
 the sachs rod pins are tapered on the ends.
 so remember that if you give it to someone to rebuild. Lots of crank half's have been ruined that way.
 see if you can mic. the rods and pins and tell from this info.
John