125 starting problems

Started by SoCal996, July 23, 2003, 10:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal996

Hi all,

My '72 125 is giving me fits trying to start it. It has always been a little dicy getting it going, but usually started 1st or 2nd kick, and then no worries for the rest of the day. Howerver, now it will not fire using the kick starter. I, or should I say my wife, pushed it yesterday and got it running. Seems like the first 1/4 of the throttle is not responding. It runs good in the high revs. I tried to get it idle, but no luck

I've taken the carb. apart and everything seems open, replaced the float because I thought that might be the problem. It is on the leanest setting for the needle and the plug is a light brown, may be a tad lean. It has good strong spark.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

tlanders

How about the crankshaft seals? Could they be letting air into the crankcase?

Rocket

Sounds like the pilot jet is plugged.
Rocket

SoCal996

Thanks guys. Doug W. rebuilt the motor a few monts back, so I think the seals are okay. I'll pull the carb again and look at the main.

One other thought I had today, gas doesn't seem to seep out of the carb when holding the tickler down, is there a vent that could be plugged?

Brian

DKWRACER

Couple of things here, if the pilot is plugged then the characteristic is it runs above 1/4 throttle.....too low a float level brings starvation into the picture (pure fuel flow from the Tank!!!).....low compression wreaks havock in starting, check for a plugged pilot. hold up to the light and clear any obstructions with a single strand of wire from a wire brush....

Thomas Brosius

Doug Wilford

First I would say plugged idle jet, second depending on what ignition you have.   Motoplat you may need to have the flywheel remagnitized.   No overflow with the tickler is a good indication of to low a float level and or fuel valves need to be removed and cleaned.   If you have the "D" cylinder with the rubber intake manifold, make sure it is good condition with no possible air leaks.

Edited by - Doug Wilford on 07/24/2003  8:57:27 PM