Started by tim bowers, July 28, 2003, 01:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim bowers

can anyone tell me the float level on a Bing
carb for a !977 400 mc5?
Thank you
Tim

Steve Minor

My manual says to take the carb and off remove the float chamber. Turn the carb upside down and set on a flat surface. Make sure the float needle is at the bottom of the seat. The float should be parallel to the carb body. Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Steve Minor

tomale

I have been having trouble with the float level too. I tried doing what the books says but found that the float needle was so warn that this did not work well. I found that it did not shut the fuel all the way off in this position. I found that if I adjusted it to the point that I was sure that the needle completly closed the tickler did not work. futher investigation revealed that the rubber on the needle had a ring of wear that was causing me trouble.
I found this article in some motocross mag that helped in the adjusting the float. with the carb and float bowl off, check to see if everything is in good condition. with the float bowl off put a clean gas hose on the carb, it should be long enough that you can blow into it and still see where the float valve is doing. With your free hand move the float up and down until you find exactly where it does shut of and then adjust to what the books says or what will work as determined buy the condition of float valve. This works good because you can see just where the float valve shuts off and just how much if at all. also, check to see if the valve opens enough when you press down the tickler... It should hold the float open enough to flood the carb. Having the float at just the right position is not as important as making sure that it will both shut off so that it will not flood the carb all the time and that the tickler still works too. It is possible to have one without the other, and you need both for correct operation of the carb. I hope this helps it sure did me. With the float finally set right my bike starts better and it does not flood out so easy either. I think it runs better too.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Blue_Dog

Tomale:
You may already know this but thought I would give you the part # for the float needle incase you run across one. It's a
52.31.120.000 if you can find a new one bet you will like what it will do for you.
They are all the same 125 thru 400. Bings.
B_D

Mike Lenz

Actually I have found that a 45 degree angle works better. All the way upside down sometimes compresses the float needle spring , you dont want that. You just want it to shut without compressing the spring in the float needle. On a properly working carb this will be where the gas will stop and this is where it should be level to the carb body. Bing Agency USA has all the parts you should need to rebuild/replace parts in the carb.

tim bowers

Thanks all, you have been very helpful. I have refreshed all the major components of
this carb through Bing Inc. I did not have
any specs though and this will help alot.
This bike ran strong and then went through
a major rainstorm in the  back of my PU
and that is when the problems started. I
have removed cylinder and checked for moisture and drained the little screw under
the crankcase to check for water. The ignition is brand new PVL and fires well.
The last  thing I am checking is the carb
so I wanted to make sure all of it was right.
Thanks again
Tim

tomale

Thanks Blue_Dog,
I am sure that I have the parts number at home but at the moment that is along ways away. MY family and I are in the saw tooth mountains enjoying the beautiful weather and amazing view from our cabin. The bike is running kind of rich and so I dropped a pilot jet and moved the needle from bottom groove to the middle groove. I do not remember moving it to the bottom groove but there it was. it does run a bit better. while I was there I checked the float valve too because it was giving me some trouble as well and it was at this point that I realized that the needle was worn. Next week when I get back I will check into a replacement. Thanks again.
It has been a real adventure to once again ride. 25 year layoff is a long time and I have forgotten much about fixing my bike.
Funny thing is that the riding part has seem to come back much easier. I Think that I am enyoying it more this time around, maybe because I get to share it with my son. He is taking to it like a duck takes to water.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

Mike,
Are you saying that instead of manually moving the float you turn the whole carb to see where the valve shuts off? I think I understand. this way you do not put undue pressure on the tab on the float that moves the float valve... is that what you mean? That by doing it this way you get a more accurate measurement. It that right?
Every time I log on here I learn something new. How would i ever have managed before I found this site?
Thanks to all of you.
HONDA had it wrong... you meet the nicest people on a Penton. I was taking with a couple of the other Penton guys at the 1st annual Hammer and Tong and they were saying what a great guy John Penton was. I am sure that his attitude is reflected in all of those who know Him and have played an important role in the creation and presevation of the Penton motorcycle. One day I would like to meet all of you back there in Penton land. Keep up the great work.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W