Castor 927 oil

Started by Steve Minor, August 01, 2003, 10:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Anybody have any experience with Castor 927 premix oil? It's more readily available here than Spectro.....Actually, there isn't a Spectro dealer here in NC. I thought I'd give Castor 927 a try at 40:1 for my 400 gs6. It's a fresh motor and I don't want to screw it up right off the bat....Any thoughts?

Edited by - steve minor on 08/01/2003  10:33:01 AM
Steve Minor

john durrill

Steve check with Dwight. His sponsers carry lots of oils so he is current on what would work. you can get your closest dealer to ship you a case. you can get the dealers list for goiden spectro from the links list i think.
John

Edited by - john durrill on 08/01/2003  10:59:06 AM

Blue_Dog

For what it's worth I am running 32/1 Specto
Gold in the bike I just got in. Yea it smokes
a bit but the mosquitoes are bad here anyway.
You want hurt anything starting here and lean her up as you rev her up.
B-D

Steve Minor

Hey Dwight.....You out there?

What are your thoughts on Castor 927 Maxima oil at 40:1? I have a fresh Bobby Lucas motor and I want to be safe and sure before I start it up....AND there are no Spectro dealers in my area (NC).

What's your opinion?

Steve Minor

Mike OReilly

I run Maxima Castor 927 @ 40:1 in my 250 Hare Scrambler (and have since 1994)(and in fact I run it in anything 2-stroke that I own: chainsaw, lawnmower, weedeater etc.) I use the bike primarily for AHRMA motocross, so it is run fairly hard. When I pulled it apart a couple of years ago, the top end was perfect and within tolerance. I ran a hone through the bore and have continued to run with the standard piston.

I think the bottom line is this: Yes the 927 works well in these KTM engines; but also, I think that these days, any good quality oil will do the job equally well. Use whatever is easily available to you locally, that you feel is cost effective and appears to get the job done - in my mind, a 1975 motor still on standard bore would indicate that the job is getting done.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Mike

Mike OReilly

I forgot to add: the castor smell is really cool, especially when all you're doing is cutting the lawn!

Dwight Rudder

Castor 927 mixed at 40:1 is great stuff and smells like vintage racing also with the Castor smell.
Maxima Super M is good also at the 40:1 or even 32:1 mixtures.
Dick Liechien once told me that as good as Castor 927 is, that Super M was as good and burned cleaner. He said he would quite making 927 if he could get the smell into the Super M.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Steve Minor

Dwight & Mike.....thanks as always. I trust both of your opinions and....to paraphrase a line from a movie..."I love the smell of Castor in the morning".....

Edited by - steve minor on 08/02/2003  06:42:00 AM
Steve Minor

Frenfroe

Dwight, about the SuperM not having the smell, to cure that in my trials bikes I run about 1/3 927 to 2/3 SuperM, has the cool smell and I'm not gumming up the motor. I run the h2o cooled ones at 80:1, the vintage at 50:1. I run the Penton 175 and Hodie at 32:1. I was told the oils wouldn't mix, would seperate, etc. 927 is actually mostly a synthetic oil with a special emulsifier that allows the castor and synthetic oil to stay mixed. This also lets the Superm and 927 stay mixed too. I've been told not to run castor in a trials bike because it'll be gummed up in no time, it's not happening to me. I think there is just very little castor in 927.

I love the smell of castor and race gas! You ever smell some of these synthetics? Rotten. Especially that IPONE stuff, Ipone must mean dirty baby diaper in their home language.

Frank

James

I have used 927 castor with no problems either. On my 250 Penton and 93 KX 250, 93 CR 250 all. Race gas in the Penton, pump gas in the modern bikes-all at 32:1. That is just the ratio I have by far had the best luck with. BTW No gumming up on any of these-I have never stuck or seized an engine in 22yrs of running two strokes. I trust 927 just as much as spectro. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Dwight Rudder

FrenFroe,  Maxima doesn't recommend what you are doing.  There is potential for disaster here. I also don't recommend 927 to mix with high octane race gas nor aviation fuel. 927 ( caster )will not stay in suspension if the gas has a high specific gravity.
I crashed an aeroplane to find this out. The FAA and Maxima both now have warnings about castor based oils.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

tomale

What about the use of 927 in the winter time? Does it seperate out in cool tempatures like Golden Spectro does? Dwight, what octane is safe to use with the Castor 927?

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

James

Dwight-thanks maybe I got lucky. High specific gravity is I thought more indicitive of an aviation fuel than a race gas. I learned about using av gas years ago when a n TX supplier was selling it as race gas. I do not know all the chemistry involved..I do remember reading that the high specific gravity in av gas burned way cool for most mx engines. I swithced race gas suppliers and have not since(1990) experienced the same kind of poor results. I actually mixed race gas to pump (3gal race and 2 gal pump). I always mixed gas one gallon at a time and as close as possible to running the bike(usually the night before a race). Further, I always get rid of any unused premix after the race-and any unused gas more than a few weeks old (goes nicely into whatever 60's something  vehicle I drive at the time).

Am I putting my engines in jeapordy doing this? Thanks, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Dwight Rudder

As far as race gas goes. If you need a bit more octane you could ( depending on Octane of the race fuel ) could use only 1 or 2 gallons with good results. You don't need Octane over 100 , unless you have bumped the compression and or the timing. Stock engines run fine with 93 oct. pump gas.  ( you can also blend 1 or 2 gal of AV gas to 93 pump gas and do the same )
High specific gravity does also pretain to race gas. Castor just doesn't like to stay suspended in it. Especially in colder temps.
You can probably run up to 106 oct race gas with no problems, but why go to the expense if you don't need it. If race gas helps , you probably need to rejet and run 93 oct pump.
Be sure to blend completely before each use.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Frenfroe

Dwight, I run 1 gal. of VP110 or C12 to 2 or 3 gal. of pump premium. My Gasgas needs at least 95 octane and all the other bikes call for the same 95 octane. Our pump gas is 93 (r+m). So adding some race gas thats 108-110 motor octane should at least meet the engine's needs.

I've always checked for any seperation just to be sure. I usually only keep the gas a couple of weeks at most and always in a steel container. After a couple of weeks, whatever's left goes in the lawnmower can. For some reason I find myself daydreaming a lot about riding when I'm cutting the gas and I've got the coolest smelling yard in town!

Frank