Shipping motor's

Started by tmc3c, August 04, 2003, 06:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

What is the best way to ship a 250cc engine? I now have it in a home made pvc engine stand,made out of 11/2 pipe and it hold's the motor great, but I am not sure how to ship. Thank's

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Jeff D

I shipped an OSSA engine to Alex Snoop for rebuild a couple years ago and he suggested using one of those large plastic tubs from Wal-Mart.  You can pack the engine in there nicely, then drill a series of holes around the edges and zip-ty it shut.  UPS will take it no problem.  Engine was returned to me same method.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

imported_n/a

Jeff,

Could you be a little more specific as to what a large plastic tub is from Wal-Mart?  I need to ship an engine and this sounds easy to find, if I know what to ask for.

Glenn

DKWRACER

Glenn, you might also explore Greyhound terminal to terminal shipping, cost savings etc.....

Thomas Brosius

Steve Minor

I shipped a motor to Texas, and got it back in, a homemade plywood crate....UPS, 102lbs for $80+- one way from NC.

Steve Minor

tmc3c

DKW, will grayhound ship a motor in a crate that weighs 102lbs? I too would like to know about the plastic tub from Wal-Mart,What was packed around the engine? Look's like I need to just get creative and build something but when I do that it tends to weigh a ton!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Thomas, the best container was a box that Doug Wilford shipped an engine back to me in.  It was from KTM America, I believe, specifically designed to ship heavy engines.  I'm keeping that for shipping engines I intend to have shipped back to me.  I'm looking for an inexpensive, lightweight protective "box" that only goes one way.

Glenn

DKWRACER

Greyhound has a web site for shipping that does do price quotes (fill in the blanks etc.)

Thomas Brosius

Doug Wilford

If you have an old pop or beer cooler one that is big enough for your engine, works great.                                                                                                                

swamp fox

Thomas,
I sent my 125 Sachs to Doug with his recommendation using a cooler and it worked great! I'm not sure about the size of yours, but Igloo makes a new cooler called a "cube", and a Sachs will fit in it perfectly. I slipped a few pieces of foam in there with it, then tie-wrapped it shut, and put it in a cardboard box. UPS charge was about $35.00 with insurance @ $1000.00 You may need a slightly larger cooler, but this sure beats trying to fabricate something that as you say may weigh in a little to much.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Jeff D

Plastic Wal-Mart tub with lid, usually over near the housewares section.  Heavy duty plastic, come in many sizes such as long and flat for clothes under a bed, stackables for in closets, etc.  I used one about the size of a beer cooler, put a piece of plywood under the engine, used lots of bubble wrap to make sure the engine was both well protected plus unable to move.  
Doug's suggestion about an old cooler is good and the Wal-mart tubs aren't as sturdy as an insulated cooler is...but my SDR engine made it via UPS from Kansas City to New York and back w/o any trouble.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

tmc3c

Man I tell you what, the Penton Web Site has a GREAT Bunch of fellow's !!! I would have never in a million year's come up with all of these great idea's.   THANK YOU GUY'S

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mark Annan

I have shipped marine transmissions (about the size of a Sachs but much heaver) using the plastic box/tub method with the following addition: Spray foam insulation.  Drain as much fluid from the item as you can, tip it in all directions.  Plug or cap all holes or outlets (rubber plugs, hose clamps, etc).  Put the item in a heavy duty plastic bag and tie it closed.  Put that in another bag and close it.  Put that into what ever shipping container you are using.  Put scraps of Styrofoam around the thing to stabilize it and take up excess volume.  Then use some expanding foam from a spray can to lock it in place.  Be sure to give the foam some time to fully expand and set before sealing up the container.  The spray foam can pop a pretty strong box!  If you want to reuse the shipping container line it with a plastic bag to it is easier to reuse the box.

tmc3c

Hi Mark, Where do you get this foam you are talking about? I don't know if this matter's but it is a KTM 250 Motor.Thanks for the idea.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mark Annan

It can be found at just about any hardware store or home supply warehouse, even Wal-Mart.  It is the foam in a can for insulating cracks and gaps in construction.  Get the maximum expansion stuff.  I use leftover Styrofoam from other boxes (TV's, computers, etc)  or you can buy big sheets of foam at the above places.