Penton-Sachs motorcycle built for the ISDT???

Started by mmickev, August 10, 2003, 01:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmickev

I am a brand new POG member and I'm interested in a 125cc "project bike". Something to race vintage mx or restore for show.

I found a seller on eBay who is "parting out" what he calls a 1970 or 71 125cc Penton-Sachs motorcycle built for the ISDT with frame number 111518XX; but, this "v.i.n." is not typical for Pentons. Also, the fenders are atypical and it has what appears to be Marzocchi shocks. The tank, motor, and exhaust have already been sold.

The "eBay'er" has agreed to sell me this rolling-frame, but I want to be certain that it is a Penton and not a Hercules or DKW or something else before I buy it.

Please view the link below and let me know if I should "rescue this machine".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425975444

Mike Mickevicius

Edited by - mmickev on 08/10/2003  01:47:35 AM
Mike Mickevicius

OUCWBOY

Hello,
Looking at the bike on E-bay and by the frame number that you gave, it is am early 1972 model. It appears that the bike was manufactured in November of 1971, making it a 72. It is a NON high breather frame and depending on waht he is askings for it, would determine if it is worth it or not. E mail me directly and we can talk.
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Doug Wilford

Mike;  I see it is sold.? Anyway it is a 72 Penton 125 it will probably cost more to ship it than it is worth.   I have seen better sell for $250.00  It is not anything special that I can determine from the picture.

mmickev

Donny and Doug,

Thanks for your replies....I was concerned about the "double X's" at the end of the ID number...Can you tell whether those are Marzocchi shocks on the rear?

The seller has another wheel for his "eBay Buyer" and will sell me everything I see in the photo, minus the motor and exhaust for $200 plus $50 to deliver it to me on his way to Iowa at the end of the month...

Will this be a good start to build a vintage moto-crosser?...

Mike Mickevicius

Edited by - mmickev on 08/10/2003  5:48:59 PM
Mike Mickevicius

Dennis D

Mike, If you start with a bike in that condition you won't believe how much you will have in it when it is ready to ride. There is a person on what used to be Jeff's vintage page that has a six-day and a Berkshire for sale. I saw these bike at Harper's and they are not bad looking bikes. He is wanting around a grand for each and I garentee you will have more in a basket than that. Both of these bikes are runners. Dennis D

Doug Wilford

Mike look into what Dennis is saying about the other bikes.  You can tie up a grand just rebuilding an engine.  It is your choice, but I doubt if there is a money tree in your back yard which you would need with that 72 Penton.

firstturn

Dennis what are the two web sites you are talking about.  Please E-Mail me at [email protected]   Thanks Ron Carbaugh

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Thanks Dennis I had lost Marks site - New computer and didn't retrieve all my old bookmarks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

Hi Mike,
Just trying to see if you got my email.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles