Bing choke question

Started by Steve Minor, August 10, 2003, 06:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

OK....It's been a number of years and I've forgotten about how my choke works. Yesterday I attempted to kick start my recently rebuilt 400 motor for the first time in about 20 years. When the choke slide is raised up, is the choke on or off? So far, all I can manage is a sputter. I figure one thing to check is fuel delivery. Any other suggestions?

Steve Minor

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Steve,
When the choke slide is up, the choke is off. When it is down, choke is on (blocks the air).  Also tickle the carb till fuel runs out the overflow before you kickstart.

Steve Minor

Thanks Randy....That solves one problem...Now back to kicking...

Steve Minor

Blue_Dog

Steve:
Some may scream but a short blast of starting fluid will tell you if you may have a carb problem. Just be sure you are not flooded out and your plug is dry. In the plughole is a good place for the blast. It should run a second and stop. Do this with the fuel cock off. If it runs then do the same through the carb. It should run a little longer. If it dose then open fuel cock, tickle carb until you get gas out the overflow tube(NO Choke) another short blast (with throttle wide open, just so the starting fluid gets through to the crank case area) air needle at 2 turns open and that should get you going on the right track.
Good luck,
B_D

Doug Wilford

Screem.  If you think it is flooded get acouple of strong guys to give you a push with the fuel turned off.  Leave it in neutral till you can jump on at speed and put it in second.  Double check the idle jet and make sure you can see through it.