It's Alive!!!!

Started by Steve Minor, August 17, 2003, 05:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I finally heard my 77 400 GS6 run yesterday for the first time in over 15 years, thanks to a lot of help from a lot of great people.

I do have a carb problem(s) though.....It loads up something awful. I have to shut the fuel off at the petcocks and hold the throttle wide open for about 2 minute and it will finally clear up. Then, it will rev and blip in neutral...but when I drop it in gear and ease out the clutch, it blubbers, and dies and I have to go through the whole process all over again...and it won't idle either. Any ideas?

Thanks all

Edited by - steve minor on 08/17/2003  05:16:47 AM
Steve Minor

Blue_Dog

OK you are a carb mechanic now.Take it apart and make sure all the parts are there, use the diagram. The float is not shutting off the fuel so be sure the neddle and seat look good and are seating properly. This is a start.
B_D

Bob

I believe old Bing floats fail in great numbers. Replace the float if you haven't. Bing Agency also sells an imroved float that might be better with today's fuels for a few bucks more.

Steve Minor

I took the carb apart and cleaned everything. I found the needle jet has 320 stamped on it....The book calls for a 285 needle jet. I find this strange because I bought the bike new and the carb has never been opened. Also, the needle jet is the only jet with any stampings on them. Perhaps I should do a total rebuild with all new jets and a new float.

Steve Minor

Doug Wilford

If you took out the atomizer make sure the half moon is on the intake side.

Steve Minor

UPDATE.....I've worked out all the carb bugs with my 77 400 GS6. Now it kick starts, idles, and blips. I'm taking it for a ride tomorrow. I was beginning to think I'd have to settle for being a spectator at the ISDT-RR. I still have a few weeks to break it in and I'll be set.

I don't want to sound like an Academy Award winner, but....."I'd like to thank everyone who helped me get here." Seriously, I do appreciate all the advice from everyone. Perhaps someday soon I can shake all of your hands. You're all a great bunch of guys.

Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 08/30/2003  12:45:27 PM
Steve Minor

rob w

Hello Steve, That's good news. I just wanted to remind you how important it is to check and re-torque the cylinder heads on 400's if they have a fresh top-end.

After I rebuilt the top-end on my 400, the head loosened up after the first 15 minutes, then again after about a half-hour, then again after another half-hour.

One other thing I learned about 400's is that you need to make sure the carb mount is as tight as you can safely get it within reason. Any air leak at all from that point and it will rev to the moon.

I wish I could say that I have my bike ready for the reunion. My beautiful stock exhaust pipe was completely destroyed from my first turn crash at SKID-OHIO!

Tomorrow I hope to put a 175 pipe on my 400 and see how it will run, since it's just a trail ride I'm not so concerned about maximum horse-power.

If anyone has a stock enduro or mx 74/75 400 pipe for me (it's probably more likely to win the lotto) I will trade them a truck load of Penton goodies for one. (small truck).

Thanks alot
Bob.

Edited by - rob w on 08/30/2003  1:31:48 PM

Steve Minor

UPDATE II...Bing 54/38/101 carb....The test ride on my 77 400 GS6 did not go very well. It seems I still have a carb problem, even after installing $75 in new Bing parts. I just installed a new 401 needle (#2 position), 320 needle jet, float, float needle,screen, gaskets, air vol screw set at 1.5 turns out...etc. I was told the main jet and idle jet do not normally wear, so I reused the original 195 main and 45 idle. The carb still loads up terribly! To the point that raw gas drips from the air box/filter. It acts like the float still isn't shutting off properly. The carb loads up, I can shut off the petcocks and hold the throttle wide open. It will finally clean out after a few minutes. Then I turn on gas...blip the throttle a time or 2....slip it gear....feather the clutch. It will take off great for about 20 yards...then blubbers, loads up and dies. Then I have to start the whole process over again.

I guess I should disassembly the entire carb again and clean it and blow it out with low pressure air.

Any other suggestions?

Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 08/31/2003  7:13:16 PM
Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

If the seat needle has not been replaced do that and be very sure that the float level is correct.  My guess, though is that your seat needle is sticking.