Penton 125 steel tank 1969 exhaust

Started by t20sl, August 20, 2003, 04:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Does anybody know the correct outside diameter and length of the stinger on the exhaust.  I am ready to weld the tip on but want it to be as close as possible to original. This was the mx side pipe one piece version that was usually cut off in order to install a muffler or volkswagon resonator to quiet it down.  If any of you have an exhaust you can measure that would be great.  Thanks, Ted

Paul Danik

I measured the stinger on a steel tanker that I feel is original,  it read 20mm or 13/16 inch OD. It has been shortened, so I don't have the proper length, my recollection is about 4 inches.
Hope this helps.
Paul

OUCWBOY

Ted and Paul,
I was just reading your posts and one thing I remember about the 1969 Six Day that I bought new in 1969 was that the stinger on the pipe was an exhaust piece off an old VW Bug. I purchased the bike from Mike Lewis in Lawton OK. It looked as if they were trying to use the VW exhaust as a sort of baffle.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Paul Danik

I just got off the phone with Al Born who has #003, I asked him about the length of the stinger, he thought they were about 8 inches long.  He is going to look to see if he has an original pipe to measure. Donny, many guys used the VW exhaust tip to quiet the bikes down and to try to make them not as pipey.  Those original machines with the long stinger made quite a racket.
Paul

Kip Kern

3/4" EMT works perfect for the stinger on the 68/69 pipe.  I can't remember what length we welded on Al's pipe, #003, but it looked/worked perfect!  I remember looking at some old photos and dealer literature and coming up with the length.

OUCWBOY

Paul,
What I was really trying to say is that my 69 came that way (VW stinger) from the dealer Brand NEW! So, the question was, did Penton install these or was it put on by my dealer? So I called my dealer (he is still a KTM dealer) just to ask Mike the question. He can't remember how they came from Penton, but he does remember NOT modifing any bikes before he sold them.
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

t20sl

Donny:  My dad was a Penton dealer and we did put on VW stinger/mufflers on quite a few 68/69 Pentons.  Never saw any out of the crate with VW tips.  Ted

OUCWBOY

Ted,
Thanks for the information and maybe you could tell us why a dealer would make that modification on a new bike? Was it something that Penton recommended? Just trying to soak up all the data available.
Thanks
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Paul Danik

Donny,
I can remember that the VW stingers were recommended to soften the hit of the early pipes.   The long stinger produced a lack of bottom-end and the bikes were being sold as mostly trail and enduro mounts. A dealer was actually trying to make the bike easier to ride for his trail riding customers when he would install the VW tip. If a dealer saw John Penton & crew riding an enduro with such a modification he would quickly copy the idea.  I am quite sure that no Penton ever came from KTM with a VW tip on it. I wonder if VW ever wondered why the exhaust tips were selling so well!!!!!!!
Paul

OUCWBOY

Paul,
thanks for the info! I never would have thought a dealer would make these mods on showroom floor bikes, but I guess so. I do know that mine was slightly different than the one Mike rode.
Thanks
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR