Bike Identification

Started by boogieonmyfinger, August 21, 2003, 01:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogieonmyfinger

Can anyone tell me what model KTM I have?  I have gotten the manuals for all of the 1980 KTM bike and engines.  According to the frame serial number - 001 *** - it is a 1980 model, but the engine serial number starts with a 54*, which says it;s a 250.  When I try to cross reference the motor in the parts manual, it looks as if the motor is a 350 or larger.  Can somebody tell me for sure what it is?
A picture of the bike can be seen here- http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oAhFP2Wy5JFCdaEuTJl8kZYCP_JklZnYLnyhA56iSvE4E-LO4mRTHe0wXtKeYBlGMWRmRj0qDU8Gp-k_30HEDTamQf-hEnYtga6TuQ/1980%20KTM/1980%20gs250.jpg

Thanks!

rd400pi

Hey Boogie,
  I'm probably not the guy to ask about your bike ID but, I must say, you have an interesting member "name".

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

G Ellis

What is the first three numbers on the motor? The first number is the year, the next two are the code for the motor size. 54=250, if it is a 542=250MC. hope this will help.

dirtbike

Hi!
I'll guess that it's a 250GS from 1980. It has the old (good) engine which doesn't crack. The plastic isn't original. The side panels should have the number plates which looks to have been cut off. The rear fender is newer with the number on it. The old 250 cylinder looks very much like the newer 350-390 engines, they even has the same number of fins. It's not a motocross model sice they had the newer frame design, (check the tubes loop right in front of the rear shocks). The GS had the older 1979 type of frame. All in all it's a good package with some major advantages over the MX model and the -81 models. Check the lower fork slider on the right side just beneath the wheel axle. If it's not cracked there you are lucky and tighten those bolts real gentle, (once you put a bolt in there).