History Question

Started by Mick Milakovic, August 27, 2003, 09:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

I have always wondered what John did to the bikes when he imported them to be able to call them "Pentons".  Last week someone told me his agreement with KTM enabled him to only put his stickers on them.  I always thought he made some modifications to "Americanize" them to our style of Eastern woods riding.  Can anyone around back then enlighten us?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Steve Minor

Mick.....I'm curious too and hope someone can give you the answer.

I stumbled upon this web site and thought someone else might enjoy it as well. It's the History of KTM.

http://www.trailandenduro.com.au/previousarticles/ktmhistory.shtml

Steve Minor

OUCWBOY

Hello,
Read the history of KTM and it dosn't exactally follow the path of the development of the Penton like it was talked abot in the John Penton Book. Very interesting though.
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

BrianTaylor

1986 first mfgr to have disc brakes front and rear  I dont thinks so ... ROKON circa 1973.....bt

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

wayne huff

Quotequote:
I have always wondered what John did to the bikes when he imported them to be able to call them "Pentons".  Last week someone told me his agreement with KTM enabled him to only put his stickers on them.  I always thought he made some modifications to "Americanize" them to our style of Eastern woods riding.  Can anyone around back then enlighten us?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570

wayne huff

I went to the factory just as they were converting over to KTM. At that time Penton did modify the motorcycles to his liking.I know they used simple stuff like different air filters and they used to cover the hole at the bottom of the odl frames to prevent water from entering and some other stuff. Thier bikes had six speed gearboxes where as the ones sold did not. All I know is that before KTM they did "PENTONISE" the bikes

Doug Wilford

Lets just say for Penton History 101, the only dirt bikes made at KTM before Penton were not for sale and were used just to promote KTM street machines by there race department.  After Penton was in production, KTM used the Penton as the model for KTM's sold in Europe for the first few years after that Freddy and KTMs race department came up with some of the different mods.  Of course there was always a big hastle to change an Austrian mind or Johns.

Mike Lenz

Just for the record the 85's had front disk brakes.